Transmission gear oil pressure gauge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DLETF

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Buster
Vessel Make
North Sea Cape Classic 30
I am considering adding a gauge to my Cummins OEM VDO analog instrument panel that will measure the transmission gear oil pressure. Anyone have experience with a transmission gear oil pressure gauge?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5766.jpg
    IMG_5766.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5841.jpg
    IMG_5841.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 44
It shouldn't be a problem, it's just another oil pressure gauge. It just has to have the right range. Have you had problems with transmission oil pressure before? I would think monitoring oil temp would be more informative.

Ken

What gear is it? Different gears have different pressures.

It shouldn't be a problem, it's just another oil pressure gauge. It just has to have the right range. Have you had problems with transmission oil pressure before? I would think monitoring oil temp would be more informative.Ken

You either have oil pressure or you don't. Transmission will let you know very quickly. If it's slipping or inop then it could be low on fluid or clutch plates worn. A pressure gauge would then be a good diagnostic tool.

I agree with Ken. Creeping oil temp would give you a heads up that plates are slipping. Temps over 190 mandate an oil change.

Either gauge is good. Find a 1/8 pipe plug in transmission, screw in either gauge, run the wiring. If you have a 10-180 ohm sender make sure you have a 10-180 ohm gauge. Don't tape the threads as they are the ground path.

Last edited:
If clutch plates are slipping, then heat distortion is a very quick complement. I had a slow tranny oil leak thru the exchanger one time. And had no pressure gauge. I believe the gauge would have alerted me sooner, preventing a clutch job.

What gear is it? Different gears have different pressures.

The transmission is a Borg-Warner Velvet Drive.
Model: 10-18-004
No current problems; trying to be proactive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom