transformer for Magnum 3112 spare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
Anyone knows a source for transformers? I bought a Magnum 3112 inverter/charger and I wish to replace the transformer with a better quality. The transformer has the following numbers on it:
CTM 22603 35-004
E94241 CTM N3
ME3112
I searched the web, but nothing comes up. I suppose, this is proprietary for Magnum. It would be nice to find a replacement.
Thanks.

Few photos.

IMG_0165.jpgIMG_0166.jpgIMG_0167.jpgIMG_0168.jpgIMG_0169.jpg

It is showing a UL mark for a recognized component. That is a fairly long and expensive process. What is the quality concern?

It is showing a UL mark for a recognized component. That is a fairly long and expensive process. What is the quality concern?

It is very noisy. Even without load. It gets quite loud with load.
I took the cover off and played with the mounting bolts, which gave me lower buzzing sound. Prior to it, I could not sleep, I had to turn it off.
It was tricky with the bolts. It seems that if I tie them well, the noise increases. If I make them loose, it gives me a different buzz. So, the mounting bolts now are differently tied down, to give the lowest sound on the transformer.
I plan to remove it and fill the gaps with Corona Dope, but I want to have a spare, just in case. I am live aboard, so I cannot be without an inverter.

I think you are very unlikely to find an exact replacement, let alone something of better quality that would match up electrically as well as fit into the casing of the inverter charger. What is the problem with the transformer at present?

The steel laminations can loosen with time. Basically just varnished in place. Have u asked manuf about buying just that component?

The steel laminations can loosen with time. Basically just varnished in place. Have u asked manuf about buying just that component?

No, not yet. I do not have pleasant experience with Magnum. I had couple issues with my older inverter and remote display and I did not get much help.
I can call them, but I do not have high hopes for them selling a transformer to me.

Inverter Service Center advertises the ability to work on that unit. No doubt, they can get parts.

Inverter Service Center advertises the ability to work on that unit. No doubt, they can get parts.

Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call.

I called them. They only sell boards, but not transformers for Magnum. He said, Magnum does not provide them with transformers.

Unfortunately we live in a throw away consumer world and repairing things is no longer very possible. It used to be that a repair shop (HIFI, TV repair) could rewind a transformer and replace individual components of most electronics. I don't think those types of shops exist any more. Electronics no longer come with schematics for troubleshooting in most cases even if someone motivated and knowledgeable wanted to fix them it's much harder without real documentation.

I looked at a few sources of transformers that I'm aware of and I don't see any places that sell them big enough for the application here to individuals. Tough to even specify the proper one without specifications for the transformer also.

Probably best to replace the entire unit and keep this one as your noisy, backup spare. I currently have a 'low frequency' 2500W aimspower pure sine inverter/charger that I'm happy with that has a multi stage 85 amp charger. When I bought mine it was only $499 I think they are over $600 now.

Also, the Magnum has a three year warranty and the date code punched out on your unit is 2018, so it seems like it should still be covered. Is working through the warranty system not an option?

Unfortunately we live in a throw away consumer world and repairing things is no longer very possible.

I think your observation is fairly accurate.
Not only I don't like to throw things away, but it is also a marketing tool for them. In some cases, it is easier to buy another one.

Also, the Magnum has a three year warranty and the date code punched out on your unit is 2018, so it seems like it should still be covered. Is working through the warranty system not an option?

I tried that route last year, when I bought this unit as brand new. I was told by Magnum that the unit has to be shipped to their testing center for troubleshooting. If the tests show a working inverter, I will have to pay for the test and shipping back and forth. That could amount to $400-500 easily, so it is not worth it. In their opinion, the buzzing sound is normal. Every transformer makes noise. When I asked how is it that my previous Magnum unit was very quiet? (PureSine), I did not get any useful answer. So, I decided to keep it and turn it off at night, when I sleep. My fridge is not happy with that solution, so I took it apart and silenced it with playing on the bolts' tension. It is more quiet now, but still buzzing. This is why I wanted to take the transformer out and fill it up. I also wanted to have a spare, just in case.

Magnum may not sell you the transformer because they have no control nor assurance you will install it properly and create a fire hazard.

Per revarnishing the transformer, get a qualified shop to do it.
We dont want to read about you making an error and you light your boat on fire.

Last edited:
It might be possible to get a motor rebuild/rewind shop to dip the unit in the varnish bath. THat process is quite normal for a rebuild.
They may not want to do it but i will bet you have several motor/transformer rewind/repair shops. When I still worked we used a smallish shop and they would be quite helpfull.

At least ask but I will guess it will cost a few buck as the varnish needs to be baked.

If ur going to make a go at this;
Degas the varnish in a vacuum chamber. Then place the transformer in the chamber, apply vacuum, then let the varnish in to submerge. Then release the vacuum This will force the varnish into the crannies.

Or you can buy a new 2812 Magnum inverter charger for about $1500 from Amazon and keep the old unit as a spare.

Where is this inverter placed on your vessel? Can you turn it off at night when at dock? We can with ours via an inverter bypass switch (which has several advantages) and all other 110/220 systems remain on. I must say there are advantages to having bad hearing.

Where is this inverter placed on your vessel? Can you turn it off at night when at dock? We can with ours via an inverter bypass switch

Yes, I used to do it, while I was at the marina. Now I am on the water full time, so no shore power. Generator only.
It is more quiet now, so I can sleep. I will try to quiet it more with some varnish.

Magnum may not sell you the transformer because they have no control nor assurance you will install it properly and create a fire hazard.

Per revarnishing the transformer, get a qualified shop to do it.

We dont want to read about you making an error and you light your boat on fire.

Honestly, I do not want to spend more dollars on this. I have quieted it down by adjusting the bolts, which hold the transformer to the bottom of the housing. It is not ideal, but it works. The bolts are close to snag, but not completely tied in. If I do that, the transformer becomes very buzzy. If I loosen up all the 4 bolts, the transformer is almost totally silent. So, I compromised and did not make it very tight. It still sits securely, but much less buzzing.
I think this is a manufacturing problem, or a design problem. The unit is brand new. I’ll just live with the small buzzing sound.
Once my budget permits, I’ll just buy another inverter for backup.

Back
Top Bottom