are these battery's good ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olesouth

Veteran Member
I have a boat that I am working on and they put new battery in 5 years ago and then stopped working on it. the owner died. and now we bought the boat and wanted to know what you guy's thought about the battery well they hold a charge.

Five years is nearing the life expectancy of a flooded cell battery. It might work for a while and it might not.

Consider buying a new battery for the boat and using this one in your car or truck. It's a lot less inconvenient when your car won't start compared to when your boat won't start.

olesouth wrote:
I have a boat that I am working on and they put new battery in 5 years ago and then stopped working on it. the owner died. and now we bought the boat and wanted to know what you guy's thought about the battery well they hold a charge.
*Depends. . . *if they have been maintained and are on a modern marine charger that cycles the batteries, then they should be ok.* My 4D's*usually last 8 to 9 years.*

But if they have been sitting there with no maintenance or haven't been*charged properly, then they are probably*toast.* As Rt said, get a load tester and hydometer, bring them up to a full charge and test them.

That's the only way you will know for sure.

I've found that, in general, mechanical objects "break down/dissolve" if not used.* The significant exception has been a Seagull outboard motor, leastwise in my limited experience.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 16th of March 2012 07:22:04 PM

Attachments

• seagull outboard.jpg
    seagull outboard.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 57
Is it just one battery, or a battery bank? What size battery?
Did they ever freeze?
I don't like the customer service at Advance Auto Parts - but I was able to get golf cart 6v batteries (GC-2) for about $60 each, last year, on sale.

these are the big battery's and there 4 of them and the are the 4d size so there about 200$ each and for the last 5 years they have sat. and never froze

"for the last 5 years they have sat. and never froze"

A new batt ,looses 1% per day of its charge , an older batt 3%+

Taking any batt to zero charge is to have sulfation grow between the plates

Sitting 1800 + days , they might take a charge , but their capacity could be almost nothing.

Back
Top Bottom