Old 12-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #21
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
The part that keeps me confused is that over the years we've had others do the same but no one ever reports back talking about how wonderful and saying they'd do the same thing again. I get the feeling the benefits are there, but more on the line of slight improvement than of revolutionary.

Here is some discussion on feedback after two years Any two years reviews for Firefly batteries? - Page 3 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 12-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Yes and that still doesn't tell me enough to run out and buy any. It's very mixed and still very little long term usage, a couple up to two years.

People who follow the link, don't overlook there is a page 1 and page 2.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:08 PM   #23
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
The part that keeps me confused is that over the years we've had others do the same but no one ever reports back talking about how wonderful and saying they'd do the same thing again. I get the feeling the benefits are there, but more on the line of slight improvement than of revolutionary.
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.co...-really-better

Old 12-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
[url]https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com/blogs/tested-boat-products/are-carbon-foam-batteries-really-better
Thanks for the link. Still less than two years. Perhaps a year from now we'll hit some three year users.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:10 AM   #25
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Thanks for the link. Still less than two years. Perhaps a year from now we'll hit some three year users.

I think the 5-10 year window will tell the longevity story. But a battery's basic performance characteristics matter quite a bit too, and I think that part has been demonstrated. So I think if someone really wants the ability to more deeply discharge, and faster recharge, and understands that lifespan beyond 2 years is still an unknown... it may be worth it.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #26
Wil

City: Presently SE Georgia
Vessel Name: Gone Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1999 KadeyKrogen 39
Yup, good summary. I'm betting that the imo proven FF PSOC properties will translate into substantially longer bank service life. Plus peace of mind with not having to worry about getting back to 100% SoC constantly. But it is a bet.

Here's an interesting & comprehensive article by Rod Collins on AGM fractional C charging, also a good retread for those who understand it: https://marinehowto.com/how-fast-can...ry-be-charged/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I think the 5-10 year window will tell the longevity story. But a battery's basic performance characteristics matter quite a bit too, and I think that part has been demonstrated. So I think if someone really wants the ability to more deeply discharge, and faster recharge, and understands that lifespan beyond 2 years is still an unknown... it may be worth it.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:28 PM   #27

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
Simple is good lined up 7 trogan T1285 lead acid in parallel to.replace 4 series golf cart batts. Upgraded inv/ charger to Magnum 2800. Works great.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #28
Wil

Though more expensive, AGMs are simpler to take care of than wet cells. Due to PSOC tolerance, FFs even more so. I think you meant T1275s....
Old 12-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #29

Yes thanks T-1275 for our load profile bank 7 was ideal .
Old 12-26-2018, 10:17 AM   #30

Lead acid for house to keep all batts same type in our case. We have easu access for check and water.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:55 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Spicer
Vessel Name: Rozinante
Vessel Model: Taswell 43
Following. We're currently using 6 T105s for a house bank, and like you, we need to keep them in the current compartment.
Boatcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #32

City: Potomac Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
I'm swapping out my existing 12v house bank (six Trojan GC2s in 3P2S) for six FireFly L15+s in either (12v) 6S2P or 2P6S configuration.

Background: FF L15+s are interesting in that each battery consists of 2 x 450Ah/2v cells that can be set up in either series or parallel configuration. This allows using the same six L15+s to set up either a 12v/900Ah or 24v/450Ah bank.

I'm looking for input here first on which 12v FF configuration (6S2P or 2P6S) to set up before I confirm with the factory, Schwab, etc. The 6S2P (see drawing of Old Bank and New Bank together) is much neater than 2P6S config (see Alternate configuration drawing), but maybe the 2P6S is better for some reason?

The batteries must go in the box as shown for the old T105 and new FF L15+ footprints to match.
If I interpreted your diagrams correctly, there seems to be no problem. The confusion arises because inside each rectangle you are referencing two separate 2-volt batteries.
rolomart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:03 AM   #33

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: TUGAWAY
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I put a set of 6 12V firefly batteries into our Nordic Tug 37 a year ago for 660 Ah total.

So far they have worked very well. They have a flatter voltage curve than the previous AGM’s ( I.e. dropping to 12.7 V pretty quickly but then staying there a good while) They tolerate draws down to 40% capacity without any difficulty keeping voltages north of 12.2V.

With Solar charging and a desire to keep generator runs to a shorter duration, the Fireflies (in theory) allow one to get back to 90% SOC and not be damaging the bank.

So far I'm very pleased and have not seen a degradation in performance but I will need a few more years before I can be definite.

-evan

Here's a link to the Wiring Diagram and Pic of installation

https://eheffa.zenfolio.com/p513003349/ea11ea0ee
https://eheffa.zenfolio.com/p513003349/e9f13d85c
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:03 PM   #34
Wil

Each FF L15+ battery indeed does consist of 2 x 2v cells that can be wired in series or parallel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolomart3 View Post
The confusion arises because inside each rectangle you are referencing two separate 2-volt batteries.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #35
Wil

Thanks for the example, nice to hear they're providing good service to date. Your six FF G31s are 12v each, you paralleled them all up. My six FF L15+s are a max of 4v each, so require a series-parallel setup. Actually could go with the six 2v version (2P6S), but the 6S2P version has the advantage imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheffa View Post
I put a set of 6 12V firefly batteries into our Nordic Tug 37 a year ago for 660 Ah total.

So far they have worked very well. They have a flatter voltage curve than the previous AGM’s ( I.e. dropping to 12.7 V pretty quickly but then staying there a good while) They tolerate draws down to 40% capacity without any difficulty keeping voltages north of 12.2V.

With Solar charging and a desire to keep generator runs to a shorter duration, the Fireflies (in theory) allow one to get back to 90% SOC and not be damaging the bank.

So far I'm very pleased and have not seen a degradation in performance but I will need a few more years before I can be definite.

-evan

Here's a link to the Wiring Diagram and Pic of installation

https://eheffa.zenfolio.com/p513003349/ea11ea0ee
https://eheffa.zenfolio.com/p513003349/e9f13d85c