Such a thing as an auto resetting AC breaker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah it seems strange that the fans and dehumidifier don’t trip the individual small breakers but trip the main one instead. Does that tell you it’s not a load problem from the fans and dehumidifier, but some other problem ?

I DO have the battery charger running so I suppose it could be the problem, but it has its own separate breaker and it’s never popped it.

I recently replaced my old galvanic isolator with a new Promainer failsafe 60amp unit. Could that be part of the problem?

The galvanic isolator is just the ground line and always "on" so no.
The battery charger yes it could be the cause.
In the course of finding out why I was losing power without the main tripping I observed my inverter charger spike to about 20 and operate at 15 amps continuous while in the bulk charge state. With a 30 amp line, that is 1/2 already, add a steady 8 amps and at 23 you could be tripping the main.
That reminds me, we have not established if both fans and the dehum are running off one leg (you have two), add the charger and maybe that together is doing the tripping.
Turn off the charger, you should not need for several weeks.

Actually, your last post about the possibility of a green wire spurred my thought. So, the OP issue might not be overcurrent OR, a tired CB, but an actual N to GND issue. I would hate to replace that high $ CB with no improvement! Instead, I would recommend an ac DMM check on GND to N voltage.

Could you explain this to me? Is this something I can do?

sure; connect a digital meter across the reverse polarity light. Use AC volt range. Now, start turning on high wattage AC devices. Water heater, ac unit, maybe the stove. Record what happens to the meter. Tossing out a spec of 10 volts maximum should be recorded before I would complain to the management. 5 would be nicer.
Even better, have two meters; the other is across the 120V line, right at the main breaker. Neutral V drop should, in theory, be half of total drop.

take proper safety precautions. I work in the el utility business, and work around very high voltage; so beware of my assumptions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom