Stripping the PO's junque!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DHeckrotte

Guru
Vessel Name
Revel
Vessel Make
1984 Fu Hwa 39
I'm tickled every time we acquire a project and I get to throw away, strip, deaccession stuff! I've recycled many LF of knob and tube wiring and tons of iron pipe from this old house. I've pulled endless stray bits of wire and stuff from the various sailboats. And now, I'm pulling 34 years of stuff from Revel. How many generations of radio speakers, television cable, TV, splitters, amplifiers, antennae, telephones, dead icemaker, wire, etc. does anyone need? We don't watch TV here or on a boat; we have cell phones, iPads, computers. There were about 15 life jackets aboard plus the ones we brought. There were five or six long-out-of-date fire extinguishers. Piles of overage and frayed line. One double 30 amp shore power line (that I could barely lift - or bend), three 20 amp shore power lines, the adapter.

I hate to throw anything away; the basement here is proof! It's taking forever to sort, and store the maybe-there's-use-for stuff.

Yes, we are doing the same. I feel like we're in a marine time capsule.
It also gives you a sense of awe at how much tech has changed since your 1984 and our 1987 boats were launched. The previous owner left everything, and kept every screw or piece of rope. We thank them for the numerous spares, including the impeller we needed when we first hit the water. But cursed them for the case of ginger ale that was hidden ( over the winter) in the bilge's recesses. Luckily it was diet so when the cans froze and ruptured they didn't leave behind any stickiness.
After two weeks of sorting and tossing we now have a clean slate....ready for our own junk!

"It also gives you a sense of awe at how much tech has changed since your 1984 and our 1987 boats were launched.

Some toys may have changed but if the boat uses 50A of 240V , the dock power hose is still going to be rather thick and heavy.

I made a few trips to the dumpster with a full dock cart at the seller's marina, just with old wiring and (long gone) split air conditioning system tubing. And that was before I got her home and really started in on removing and replacing old wiring and plumbing. I guess after 33 years, some excess is to be expected.

My favorite was the 13" TV-VHS combination that some PO had cut the galley cabinets all up to install.

Before:
4339-albums517-picture3027.jpg

After:
4339-albums517-picture3028.jpg

Nice work CaptTom! FF, we have two 30 amp service entries, one is original and one is labeled 'Telephone', but contains the 30 amp service. It powers the air conditioning. Aquafarm, we have a large box of spares, as yet unsounded.

A (gentle) kicker was after a day or two of ownership we needed to open a deck fill. I knew I'd seen one somewhere. Couldn't find any aboard. Went to West Moron and bought a nice new one. Returned to the boat and found the one I'd previously sorted out of junque and put in my tool bag. Since then I've found about 5 more.

Back
Top Bottom