State of Active Captain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve been off my nav system for several years, and am wondering what the current state of Active Captain is. The previous owner shut down my account because I told him off about something, and i haven’t used it since. I know it has been folded into a more comprehensive app under Garmin, but that’s about it.

Is it useful, or even usable if you don’t have any Garmin equipment?

Has the content remained fresh? When it ended as a stand alone app, there was a growing amount of “noise” markers, and a lot of info pilfered from guide books.

Does it still work with other charting devices? When I left off it was part of Coastal Explorer and had just been integrated into Furuno’s line. But I think I saw a note that Furuno dropped it?

Who’s using it outside the context of Garmin electronics?

I tend to use the online version of it for planning, but I haven't cared to use it in any other form.

I also use the online version for planning and still like the anchorage markers and reviews. I don't know where the summary info on anchorages comes from, doesn't seem to be crowdsourced like the original. But individual reviews are still supported.

And the connections to systems other than Garmin are dead AFAIK.

David

I think you'll get a range of answers.

Some apps still include AC data, some have dropped it.

Some folks still contribute, but others report fewer and fewer recent updates.

Me? I go back and forth. It's still a very comprehensive list of marinas and anchorages, but in my area the data is going very stale as I'm seeing almost no user updates. It's useless for price information, and as anchorages fill up with mooring fields and marinas are bought out by Safe Harbors, even the fundamentals change.

Other options are limited. Dockwa will list all the participating marinas in an area, and often has enough detail on each to be of some value. But a lot of marinas aren't participating, and you won't find any anchorages. Waterway Guide seems best positioned to take over the role of a comprehensive, on-line cruising guide for the US East Coast, but beyond that I hear they lack good coverage.

I just noticed that AC has been updated on my Navionics App. There are also many more AC symbols than before. I reviewed the data and it looks pretty good. However, I noticed that there are next to no current reviews and many of the new symbols have good data but no reviews.

I am speaking of the PNW and have no idea how this relates to the rest of the country.

I did find the new review interface to be very easy and quick to post my review.

I still use it although it's not as frequently updated as it was in it's glory pre-garmin. But it's still useable as it was before. I think the Garmin purchase alienated some users. It became a cumbersome application for awhile. I also think updates slowed as there are only so many "good holding in NW corner" or "dinghy dock located next to pump out" posts you need to make. So still usable information but becoming a bit dated in many cases.

Having the database stored locally on whatever app I'm using is critical to me since I'm often in areas without internet. An online solution just doesn't cut it.

Is anyone using it in Coastal Explorer? I still have all the markers from circa 2017, but haven't updated since I got locked out which was pre-Garmin. I'm curious if it would even still work, or if my markers would not update, or if they would all disappear.

I use the on-line version for planning purposes, but two of my negative reviews have been deleted, and on another, a few words were changed to convey an entirely different meaning.

Yes, it is useful, but the reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt.

The problem with any web site that invites reviews, whether it is AC, Hotels.com, or even Amazon, is that they may be sued by a business that doesn't like what is posted. It is far easier to just delete the negative reviews than to spend a lot of time and money fighting multiple lawsuits.

I use the on-line version for planning purposes, but two of my negative reviews have been deleted, and on another, a few words were changed to convey an entirely different meaning.

Yes, it is useful, but the reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt.

The problem with any web site that invites reviews, whether it is AC, Hotels.com, or even Amazon, is that they may be sued by a business that doesn't like what is posted. It is far easier to just delete the negative reviews than to spend a lot of time and money fighting multiple lawsuits.

Were your reviews deleted and/or altered recently, and since it's been under Garmin ownership?

I expected ActiveCaptain to be like Yelp, but I find precious few sites reviewed in my area of western Lake Erie. Even when icons appear, they only represent one or two reviews. It takes a lot more than that to influence decisions. Am I missing something?

Twist: The two deleted ones were after Garmin bought it, and the modified one was before.

Last edited:
I used it extensively in 2019 via Navionics. At that time Navionics was $25 for all US and $29 US & Canada.
I've noticed not many recent reviews where I've looked but 2020 & 2021 have been crazy years so not surprising.

I used it with my Coastal Explorer while delivering a vessel from Norfolk, VA to Carrabelle, FL in the Big Bend in March and April 2020. I found it useful for marinas, anchorages, and other points noted in the app.

Twist: The two deleted ones were after Garmin bought it, and the modified one was before.

That’s too bad. As soon as it becomes evident that someone has their hand on the scale, reviews become useless. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, just disappointed.

I continue to use Active Captain (the website), in fact, I used it today.

If there are few up to date reviews it's not Garmin's fault, the reviews are "crowd sourced" so the "crowd" needs to post reviews where appropriate.

As far as I know, I have never had a review changed or deleted.

We used it extensively for the last 2 years and although a large portion of the reviews are older, we tried to review when we could. Pairadice made a lot of reviews with no issues. Requires internet access in order to upload a review, but we could see the reviews while offline. We use Navionics on our big IPAD and it never failed us with very accurate info all around.
New thing we saw on the Navionics app once the boat got into Florida waters. It flashed in red in the SOG block when entering a no wake zone or restricted speed zone. Thought that was pretty cool.

I’ve been off my nav system for several years, and am wondering what the current state of Active Captain is. The previous owner shut down my account because I told him off about something, and i haven’t used it since. I know it has been folded into a more comprehensive app under Garmin, but that’s about it.

Is it useful, or even usable if you don’t have any Garmin equipment?

Has the content remained fresh? When it ended as a stand alone app, there was a growing amount of “noise” markers, and a lot of info pilfered from guide books.

Does it still work with other charting devices? When I left off it was part of Coastal Explorer and had just been integrated into Furuno’s line. But I think I saw a note that Furuno dropped it?

Who’s using it outside the context of Garmin electronics?

And he hated me with a passion but had no idea how to shut me down. Claimed all sorts of knowledge but clearly didn't happen.

It's still got it's issues, but it's still the best option available. We use it all the time.

We do not use and never have used it in an integrated fashion but as an independent tool.

If there are few up to date reviews it's not Garmin's fault, the reviews are "crowd sourced" so the "crowd" needs to post reviews where appropriate.

I'd say if you want crowd-sourced data, you need to generate some trust from the crowd. This is not Garmin's strong suit. I haven't seen Garmin reach out to the AC community in any meaningful way. At least Jeff gave us a ball cap (well, I never received mine, but I'm willing to assume it was just an oversight.)

I'd say if you want crowd-sourced data, you need to generate some trust from the crowd. This is not Garmin's strong suit. I haven't seen Garmin reach out to the AC community in any meaningful way. At least Jeff gave us a ball cap (well, I never received mine, but I'm willing to assume it was just an oversight.)

Agree. At least when Jeff ran AC there was an entrepreneur with skin in the game driving participation and updates were happening. Garmin seems content to let it whither away. We continue to use it on Aqua Maps, but trust the reviews less as time passes. I don’t understand why Waterway Guide doesn’t do more to promote their already up-and-running service and fill an obvious niche.

When evaluating AC ratings, it is important to separate fact from opinion, and be suspicious of any opinion that is very different from others. Is the post by a competitor who says that the place is a dump when it is actually a beautiful resort? Or conversely is the post by the marina manager who says that his marina is God's gift to the boating community when it is actually old and decrepit? It is difficult to tell.

AC tries to partially address this by assigning points for reviews. Be suspicious of any opinion from someone who has less than 500 points.

Sometimes posts contain valuable information. That is how I found out that the Town of Coca Fl, had a new free dock.

I seldom post a rating any longer. There is no point in my repeating what 20 others have already said. However I do post if I notice a change whether it is for the better or for the worse.

To get back to Twistedtree's original question, yes, you can access AC on line without Garmin equipment provided you have an internet connection, or you can use one of the iPad apps that have it too. But it is only one source of information among many.

For sure, as is Yelp, and we have found those crowd sourced reviews invaluable in choosing restaurants and the like. Hoping when the time comes, ActiveCaptain will be as valuable.

Having the database stored locally on whatever app I'm using is critical to me since I'm often in areas without internet. An online solution just doesn't cut it.

The data can be stored and accessed locally on Garmin MFDs and the Navionics and Aqua Map IOS apps. Maybe more places but those are the ones I know about.

Having the data on the MFDs does nothing for me; I do occasionally use it on an iPad for planning purposes.

Garmin seems to have done a good job of running off most of the reviewers. Last time I got on there, it was kind of surprising to see how old a lot of the most recent comments were.

The information is still quite useful. As to reviews, I treat them like I do all reviews and look beyond the points given to the actual content. Often very helpful but then sometimes you have to wade through information. Yes, there are old reviews, but also more recent ones. I still find very few marinas not on AC and the information on inlets, shoaling, anchorages useful.

Interestingly, I just quickly ran through some reviews. First on marinas I know well in the US. Found them balanced with usual things. Complaints about $3.50 a foot being high when it's a prime location with beach right behind it in Fort Lauderdale so information to be ignored. But comments on pump out useful and then on restrooms and showers negative as I'd expect with beachgoers sneaking in but good advice to use the hotel restroom. Fuel prices high. Yes, they are ridiculously so when you can go right next door to a fuel boat for $1.00-$1.50 less. I looked at others and couldn't argue with any of the facts and yes, reviews from 10 years old to present. Draft and size information useful although not all have it.

Then I checked the marina in Portugal where we are and compared to Navily, which is a great European site. Navily had only a small percentage of US marinas. Sadly, even in Europe, AC has marinas, Navily doesn't. But then let's look at the reviews of the Marina where we are. Navily has 32 reviews to only 7 for AC and many more recent reviews so points to Navily. Now, reading the reviews, I find little difference in substance. But then there is information. Navily says 25 meters in length. Active Captain under dockage says LOA Max 145 meters, Beam max 32 meters. Rather huge discrepancy. Go to Marina's website. "In the protected outer basin, Cascais Marina has a Mega Yacht Quay, exclusively for yachts measuring over 36 metres. This Pontoon is only available by prior reservation." Kudos to AC.

So, what do we use? Everything. Our European experiences are much like our US East Coast. Waterway Guide is great but also limited. Limited by region and completeness. AC is still king in showing every marina and in not being limited to a region. However, I always use both WG and AC when cruising the WG area and combine the information. In Europe, Navily is great but as noted above, we use AC as well and it still has information Navily doesn't. One other thing I praise about AC is the link to the marina website. Navily, like many other marina websites is after your direct booking, not maximum information.

My answer. Use every tool possible.

We plan weeks, nights, and hours before so that's when we use these tools. By the time we cruise the area, we already know what they say and only look at them to refresh ourselves or pick up a phone number or channel or approach information. Approach is another way AC is solid.

I used AC all along, even as Jeff threatened me in various ways. I always praised it although not the plagiarism with no credit due, but as a resource. I wasn't going to penalize myself for his behavior on this forum. Similarly, don't penalize yourself from using a resource because of Garmin.

As to the rewrite of the AC software at the time of sale, that had to take place for multiple reasons and had been put off too long. There were EU security issues to face and the outdated use of Flash. Imagine with Flash no longer supported had that not taken place.

Banning members from AC over forum comments was arrogance at it's peak. However, I chose not to deprive myself from using a resource I liked.

I used AC all along, even as Jeff threatened me in various ways. I always praised it although not the plagiarism with no credit due, but as a resource. I wasn't going to penalize myself for his behavior on this forum. Similarly, don't penalize yourself from using a resource because of Garmin.

As to the rewrite of the AC software at the time of sale, that had to take place for multiple reasons and had been put off too long. There were EU security issues to face and the outdated use of Flash. Imagine with Flash no longer supported had that not taken place.

Banning members from AC over forum comments was arrogance at it's peak. However, I chose not to deprive myself from using a resource I liked.

:popcorn:

I also use it on Aqua Maps Ipad App. There is not a lot of content for the various So-Cal Marinas and anchorages, but periodically a good tid bit of information that is helpful re grading shoaling, etc.

The only thing Active Captain ever did to me personally, was to promise to send me an AC hat, for posting so much, that never arrived. :)

The only thing Active Captain ever did to me personally, was to promise to send me an AC hat, for posting so much, that never arrived. :)

I thought I was the only one who never got the promised hat.

Also great if you can access a port captain from some organization. Be it OCC, SDR, SSCA, TF or any. Nothing like speaking with a person who lives there and has current local knowledge. Not all sources of information are internet based.
Never liked AC. Do trust Doyle for the Caribbean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom