Starlink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom:

Yes NW of Meta and S of Ketchikan. Shows on MarineTraffic.com OK.

Just returned from fishing a bit but seas too large this evening.

I've been watching the antenna from inside the pilothouse over the last week. Sometimes it decides to point to a different section of sky while we are moored at the dock. I assumed that these LEO satellites moved to a different portion of the sky?

Alex

Alex,

Go to this link: satellitemap.space and you will see what is purported to be a live look at Starlink satellites. You can see all the satellites are south of you.

Tom

It sounds like the pointing algorithm says once lined up and tilted, don’t move unless rebooted.

I met a guy on the dock today in Pender Harbour who had the round “Dishy McDishface” terminal on the aft rail of his sailboat and it adjusted its position while we were talking. Just once though.

I have mostly been turning my own off while underway but in the name of science I left it on during a rolly crossing of the Strait of Georgia this morning and it never disconnected. The limitations on use while in motion seems to be all regulatory, not technical.

Crossing the border was completely seamless as well. Shut it down leaving Deer Harbor, booted it up again in Port Browning, never missed a beat.

I couldn’t be happier with the service. Total game changer. Light years better than the Iridium Certus system I rented last year with 0.5% of the speed at 30x the cost for few gigabytes of capped data.

This is really amazing stuff gents. Please keep the real-world experience coming.

Are there any stainless poll mounts found yet?

I met a guy on the dock today in Pender Harbour who had the round “Dishy McDishface” terminal on the aft rail of his sailboat and it adjusted its position while we were talking. Just once though.

I have mostly been turning my own off while underway but in the name of science I left it on during a rolly crossing of the Strait of Georgia this morning and it never disconnected. The limitations on use while in motion seems to be all regulatory, not technical.

Crossing the border was completely seamless as well. Shut it down leaving Deer Harbor, booted it up again in Port Browning, never missed a beat.

I couldn’t be happier with the service. Total game changer. Light years better than the Iridium Certus system I rented last year with 0.5% of the speed at 30x the cost for few gigabytes of capped data.

Tom:

Yes NW of Meta and S of Ketchikan. Shows on MarineTraffic.com OK.

Just returned from fishing a bit but seas too large this evening.

I've been watching the antenna from inside the pilothouse over the last week. Sometimes it decides to point to a different section of sky while we are moored at the dock. I assumed that these LEO satellites moved to a different portion of the sky?

Alex

This is really amazing stuff gents. Please keep the real-world experience coming.

So are you all on the RV plan or regular service?

Also residential with portability.

Curious how Starlink works in high-walled PunchBowl Cove, Misty Fjord?

Alex

Alex

It must work good there, I’m communicating with Scot via Verizon cell from Petersburg.

We're on residential with portability as well. Currently in the Misty Fjords in Alaska,

Awesome. So I want to get into the system. What system (with accessories) do I buy? Will be on residential with portability.

I currently have a KVH TV4 with DirecTV. Does the Starlink replace all of this?

Awesome. So I want to get into the system. What system (with accessories) do I buy? Will be on residential with portability.

I currently have a KVH TV4 with DirecTV. Does the Starlink replace all of this?

It can. DirectTV and Dish are subscription TV services, while StarLink is an internet service provider. So, if you're OK with streaming everything, you'll be fine- but if you need traditional TV (news, broadcast, commercials, etc) they SL may not be the solution.

The SL kit will come with all the equipment needed for a basic install. Please note that SL is 120V, not 12V. There are hacks available to power the SL via an ethernet/POE injector setup.

To hard mount the SL, you can get one of their mounts, or design your own. I used the SL roof mount, while others have used fishing rod holders or other methods to secure the antenna. As long as the SL has an unobstructed view of the north sky, you should be good.

As for the dome- the TV4 is an 18" dome, which is too small. A 24" dome would be needed (KVH 7 series). The SL antenna is IP54 weather rated, and is designed for outdoor usage.

Alex

Alex, we were in Punchbowl Cove two nights ago, anchored close the stream outlet, and we had uninterrupted service.

There are lots of ways to permanently mount the dish. We are currently just bungeeing it to the solar panel supports. We'll figure out a more permanent solution when we return to WA State. One thing I do not like is that the fitting that has to go through a window/bulkhead/overhead is pretty large, about 1.25" by maybe 2.5", and that complicates the routing, as you have to have a LARGE hole to pass the wiring through. Haven't figured out how to address that permanently, but for now, we just ran it out a rear window, under the bimini.
Scot

Wow that's amazing that Starlink operates in PunchBowl, Scot! Thanks for the feedback. On the way south we're going to try it in Princess Louisa as well.

Yes, we hole-sawed a 1" opening in the pilot house roof to feed the large Starlink cable connector. Fastened metal pipe base (from hardware store) centered over hole. Then placed the Starlink pole mount over that and secured with the provided six set screws. No leaks so far during rainy May in BC.

Coiled the extra cable above headliner. Spent hours feeding cable inside the boat to an appropriate location for the access point box.

Alex

Starlink install more or less complete.
20220625_153618.JPG

Wow that's amazing that Starlink operates in PunchBowl, Scot! Thanks for the feedback. On the way south we're going to try it in Princess Louisa as well.

Worked flawlessly for us at the dock in Princess Louisa and (I’ll admit) underway back down the length of Jervis Reach, where I did a four hour zoom call tending the autopilot at the helm while my wife finished a project in the salon. Scarcely a hiccup the whole way.

Alex, we were in Punchbowl Cove two nights ago, anchored close the stream outlet, and we had uninterrupted service.

There are lots of ways to permanently mount the dish. We are currently just bungeeing it to the solar panel supports. We'll figure out a more permanent solution when we return to WA State. One thing I do not like is that the fitting that has to go through a window/bulkhead/overhead is pretty large, about 1.25" by maybe 2.5", and that complicates the routing, as you have to have a LARGE hole to pass the wiring through. Haven't figured out how to address that permanently, but for now, we just ran it out a rear window, under the bimini.
Scot

FYI.
Disconnect the cable from the antenna. That plug is much smaller and way easier to pass through smaller holes.

Got my starlink up and running.

I'm using a RV subscription, and used a roof mount to secure the unit.

It works great underway. I have well over 100 MBPS and am a bit south of Caspe Flattery WA this morning.

Emailing KVH to turn mt subscription down to the minimum this morning. :)

Noticed a Starlink wifi connection here in the harbor in Petersburg,Ak. Wish I knew how well it was working for them this far north.

Tator

Found my answer. Using my phone and looking at the available wifi signals, I walked the docks until I had a good idea of what boats might have the Starlink. Turns out it was the lead boat for the GB flotilla who are
in town. Talked with one of the leaders and he said that the signal disappeared a little bit north of Petersburg. This jibbed with the Starlink map of available service. Sigh. I guess I'll be waiting to look further into getting the system as 99% of our cruising is north of Petersburg and we are happy with our GCI hotspot when docked in our slip.

Later, Tator

Sigh. I guess I'll be waiting to look further into getting the system as 99% of our cruising is north of Petersburg and we are happy with our GCI hotspot when docked in our slip.

Looks like they are ready to start providing service north of 53 degrees as soon as the FCC lets them.

https://wccftech.com/starlink-ready-to-turn-on-laser-satellites-for-internet-coverage/

OneWeb is supposedly operating there now but I haven’t been able to find any providers you can actually sign up with for marine service.

Well, I love starlink!

I'm sitting in Grays Harbor (westport marina) in Washington and just measured 250MBPS

My KVH system is now turned down. I am keeping my account active at a minimal data purchase as a backup, but starlink is now my go to internet source.

Last edited by a moderator:
starlink

What kind of upload speed are you getting with a 250mp download???

Have one on order but work really hinges on upload.

Cheers

Bryan

Interesting, glad I held off on the KVH. Does anyone know if they will eventually come out with a dish that will fit in one of the standard KVH or Intellian domes at some point? Or, already available?

Sababa,

I don't think service above 53N is going to be launched for fixed sites until Starlink starts launching satellites into the 70 degree inclination. The reason service stops north of Petersburg is no satellites are in view. I am surprised that Starlink allows terminals to work that far north as the lowest elevation angle they typically use is 25 degrees and at that elevation, there is a high probability they will interfere with existing Ku band geo satellites as they are using the same uplink frequencies. The interference may not be readily apparent as it will will be short lived, but it is still there and could result in some regulatory problems for Starlink. That's why in their primary service area the typical orientation of antenna is tilted to the north.

Tom

What kind of upload speed are you getting with a 250mp download???

Have one on order but work really hinges on upload.

Cheers

Bryan

I just checked for you...12 mbps

Interesting, glad I held off on the KVH. Does anyone know if they will eventually come out with a dish that will fit in one of the standard KVH or Intellian domes at some point? Or, already available?

I upgraded my KVH last summer.

Hindsight is always 20/20 :blush:

I do not see a need for a dome except perhaps for asthetics. The unit is rated for outdoor use.

Great to hear how well it is working in areas of coverage such as the West Coast. We have tested it and found it's coverage map to be quite accurate. From Florida to Delaware, coverage about 70% as long as we stayed close to land. Offshore, very little, just like Bahamas with no coverage yet. From Delaware north to Maine, more in the area of 90%, but no coverage in places like Nantucket. In the Eastern half of the US though the coastal coverage is much better than inland. We had an employee test it on a Mercedes Sprinter she has and virtually no coverage anywhere she drove in NC or SC, some coverage across GA and SC but none in the cities she needed it most. None in the middle of FL, Ocala, but service in Key West and Islamorada. Still, just not a solution for anyone in the Eastern states. I'd estimate at least a year away.

Back
Top Bottom