Standard Horizon SSM-71H Anyone Using?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scurvydog_pnw

Veteran Member
Checking to see if anyone is using the Standard Horizon wireless remote handheld radio (SSM-71H). It pairs up with your main radio with the SCU-30 WiFi antennae and uses the main radio VHF antennae.

We had it installed in our setup on our boat but, the wireless handheld has never worked well. Get like 8 feet from the wifi antennae and the hand held randomly drops the connection. Not sure if it is a defective antennae or poor wifi antennae in either the SCU-30 / handheld radio.

The parent radio is the GX6000

Cheers!

You are scaring me. I am in the process of installing one. I'll let you know how it works. Should know in the next week or so.

I can't speak for the wireless version, but the wired version of those remote mics (the SSM-70H) works quite well. Hopefully Twistedtree's experience is better and can confirm OP's issue is a hardware problem somewhere in the chain.

Sounds like poor performance of the wireless data link. Could be adjacent channel interferance. Most include a utility program that will allow you to change the default data channel frequency. I would dig into the manual and try changing the default data link channel - see if it makes a difference

Olebird one of the things I did early on to rule out other wifi signals causing an issue was test out the handheld being 1/2 mile offshore where I could rule out other wifi signals. I got the same results with disconnects with handset 10' from SCU-30.

I finally got the radios upgraded to the latest firmware this for the base radio, handheld, and SCU-30. Did not help the disconnect issue. I will see if I can pick up details of the wifi chipset used. Could be they used a poor wifi ASIC and antennae.

Could be another device on the boat or could be a bad chip set. I've not had good luck with remote devices tryng to run on the wifi freq spectrum. I don't have any direct experience with the SH unit.

Garmin and other's mfds often have their own WiFi networks, depending on the model.

Is everything properly grounded? I'd go over the scu-30 connections, as well as any nearby wiring that is less than perfect.

Just to close out the thread I found other forum users having the same issue. Going to uninstall the antennae and sell the handheld. Going to put in a wired remote in the flybridge.

Back
Top Bottom