Old 04-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #41
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
They rarely fail any more...and usually only a part of the equipment, not the whole unit.

The stand alone AIS is just as likely to fail as any other unit.

You don't even need AIS receive let alone transmit.

It's better to have it in a multi function device than not.

Fog is a reasonably predictable event, avoid busy areas if you feel you need AIS to be there.

Etc...etc....etc..

It comes down to risk level and your wallet.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #42
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I pretty much showed it doesn't.

Redundancy is the solution, whether the first or second unit is in a radio is irrelavent.

What is totally scary in my mind...is this unreasonable surge that this new technology is all that valuable in a boating arena where most targets aren't broadcasting anyway...unless on a western river or you are silly enough to operate in shipping or ferry areas more than you have to.

So having a second unit instead of a 3rd PLB or epirb to me is equally debateable in safety terms.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #43
Guru

There are four kinds of people.
The ones that buy the latest and greatest. These folks are eager to learn new technologies and be on the cutting edge.
The second group enjoys new technology but waits to buy into it until it is proven to work and provide the advertised benefits.
The third group is like the second group but they are waiting for the price to drop and buy in when the sales begin.
Then there's the fourth group. They are very happy with their Loran and are not yet convinced that GPS based systems are not just a fad.
The different personalities is what makes the world interesting.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:54 PM   #44
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I have an AIS receiver and would like an AIS transceiver. No I don't need it, but I have been in a couple of situations where it would be helpful.

I used to be in Pg's first group. Now I have drifted down to the third group.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:08 AM   #45

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Silver
Vessel Model: Helmsman 31
With all the electronics that have GPS in them as well as water resistant phones - I think this GX6500 and an epirb would pretty much guarantee a rescue. You'll have a GPS in this radio, your phone, and your MFD. Add a remote handset to the GX6500 (which supports 4 I think) or just a standalone handheld VHF

Even the sailors on the ship that was attacked by Moby Dick survived on an island and they had none of this.

I think the big issue is having an insulated lifesuit - because you are going te be found.
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:05 AM   #46
Guru

I think AIS has its usefullness.

I was just stating that having it built into another electronic device was no better or worse than having iit a stand alone box.

Like many electronics on a boat...if your safety really is being determined by just one of those electronic systems...it should be a redundant system whether stand alone or not.

In my mind, electronics just back you up.....whether safety or navigation. You should never be that lost or unsafe without them.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #47
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
To me, the main advantage of AIS (and having it connected to your MFD) is that you will get a warning if you and another boat are on a collision course. Yes, you can make a guess in good visibility but the AIS provides a better "guess". And it will provide you the names of other vessels in case you want/need to call them on the VHF. Knowing the name is better than hailing "the big ship heading up the river near the ICW crossing."

The key for each of us is, how often do we find ourselves needing to know these things? If you don't normally boat in busy harbors or shipping lanes, AIS may just be a toy. If you do, it could be an important safety device.

Next year, my hope is to cruise to NYC and see the Statue of Liberty. From what I've read, the NY harbor can be a busy place with commercial shipping and high speed ferries. This looks like a good place to have AIS available.

As for transmitting ability, I doubt many of the commercial ships and ferries are going to change course or speed because of my little boat so it's not so important.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #48
Guru

Have AIS receive on my boat and full AIS on commercial boats I have run...

Never needed it to avoid collision...eye balls and radar plenty....

Useful but not necessary even in NY harbor. Almost all vessels can avoid traffic, even in high traffic areas by studying charts.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:19 AM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
To me, the main advantage of AIS (and having it connected to your MFD) is that you will get a warning if you and another boat are on a collision course. Yes, you can make a guess in good visibility but the AIS provides a better "guess". And it will provide you the names of other vessels in case you want/need to call them on the VHF. Knowing the name is better than hailing "the big ship heading up the river near the ICW crossing."

The key for each of us is, how often do we find ourselves needing to know these things? If you don't normally boat in busy harbors or shipping lanes, AIS may just be a toy. If you do, it could be an important safety device.

Next year, my hope is to cruise to NYC and see the Statue of Liberty. From what I've read, the NY harbor can be a busy place with commercial shipping and high speed ferries. This looks like a good place to have AIS available.

As for transmitting ability, I doubt many of the commercial ships and ferries are going to change course or speed because of my little boat so it's not so important.

I agree with the advantages you listed.
AIS allows you to call the vessel by name. That is a huge advantage. Whether in a busy harbor or out in an open bay. How can you ask someone their intentions if you don't know their name? A VHF radio transmits over 20 miles. Who are you talking to?

You will love NY Harbor. Been through their eight times. Really an Iconic, neat place. The fast ferries you don't have to worry about, they go around you. The big orange Statin Island Ferries are up to you to keep clear of.

Enjoy a safe journey.

Name:  IMG_0156.JPG
Views: 466
Size:  23.6 KB
Old 04-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #50
Guru

This is the unit we purchased.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2335.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	63600
Old 04-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #51

Think I've found the fly in the ointment with this GX6500. If you buy a new boat and document with Coast Guard, the USCG delay is about 2 months.

To buy this radio, West Marine needs to pre-register the AIS with the USCG. Meaning you have to wait for the USCG to get back to you. Assuming they find no problems with the docs and cause a delay.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #52
Guru

City: Vermont
What info is needed that you are waiting on the CG for? If t's the official boat number, you could just register the AIS with the boat's HIN instead.

BTW! It will be fast if you get your new boat docs back in 2 months.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #53
Guru

Increase safe boating with an AIS transponder. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1640.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	63746
Old 04-15-2017, 07:27 PM   #54

As far as I can tell, I need either the state of USCG registration # to get an MMSI#?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
What info is needed that you are waiting on the CG for? If t's the official boat number, you could just register the AIS with the boat's HIN instead.

BTW! It will be fast if you get your new boat docs back in 2 months.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #55
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8928 View Post
As far as I can tell, I need either the state of USCG registration # to get an MMSI#?

I'll bet you could give your HIN. Also, the CG will often tell you the assigned number even if they haven't finished the whole process.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #56

Well, whadya know - you were correct! I registered the MMSI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'll bet you could give your HIN. Also, the CG will often tell you the assigned number even if they haven't finished the whole process.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:30 AM   #57
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
I agree with the advantages you listed.
AIS allows you to call the vessel by name. That is a huge advantage. Whether in a busy harbor or out in an open bay. How can you ask someone their intentions if you don't know their name? A VHF radio transmits over 20 miles. Who are you talking to?

You will love NY Harbor. Been through their eight times. Really an Iconic, neat place. The fast ferries you don't have to worry about, they go around you. The big orange Statin Island Ferries are up to you to keep clear of.

Enjoy a safe journey.

Attachment 63578
Thanks. It's next year if things go as planned.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #58

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
This is the unit we purchased.
Attachment 63600
Can you tell us how you were able to program your boat's information into this model, if it interfaces well with your chart plotter or other devices, and how do you like it so far...?
it looks like it cost less than a boat-buck

Also: the specs say it has a built-in GPS antenna. this could be sensitive to installation location in order to get good reception, did you have any trouble finding a good location where the GPS reception is strong...?
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote