Ssb receiver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil23

Vessel Name
MV Unique
Vessel Make
Salthouse Coastal 35
I am looking at installing a Kenwood r600 Receiver purely for listening purposes to relieve evening boredom on board. I only wish to monitor vessels in transit etc and do not want to transmit nor have to install q aerial tuner. Being a launch I have no backstay nor really wish to send huge dollars on a wip aerial , is there any alternative, is it possible to make an aerial. A guy on the marind reckoned I could use my life lines but that sounds a bit dodgy to me.

SSB - receiver antenna

To just receive, you can just use a long wire. And maybe a ground wire.

The longer the better & the higher up the better. Keep it away from the sea water & grounds.

Or in place of a 23 foot tall whip, run a single wire up your mast on back side - that will work just fine.

Will it be perfectly efficient, & perfect for every frequency, NO - but it will work.

Good Luck.

Alfa Mike

Last edited:
The best antenna for your rig is entirely dependent on which anchor you use.

Listening is fun , but with a stable set and a cheap computer you can see weather and sea state world wide .

A copper long wire antenna , 2 insulators and a lead in wire is all that's needed.

Last edited:
How about a portable ssb radio from Grundig?

Last edited:
I know SSB is old school now with satphones. But having been cruising for years with both aboard definitely used the SSB a lot more frequently than the satphone. There’s no voodoo or significant learning curve with a modern 802 or equivalent. With a good modem (pacnor) you can do just about everything. Hope your listening is the first step in enjoying SSB and maybe proceeding to ham. They’ve made ham easier too. For a general license no need to learn Morse code.
Antennas should be tuned if you want good signal strength. It’s more important on send than receive. With a send/receive unit an automatic tuner comes with it. Even with just receive being close to the wave length helps. There’s lots of information about how to home build a decent receive antenna on the Internet. Just google it. Have fun.

bare copper wire or is covered ok IYO

Insulated is fine - I use the coated wire(thhn)from Lowes - the coating adds a little strength. For a radio you can use $100 SDR Play and your computer to listen to nearly any freq and any mode - some decoder software will give you wefax (weather fax) worth having on board on long passages and rainly days.

Last edited:
SSB has been around but nothing wrong with that mode - some of the newer digial based modes are much more efficient.

Back
Top Bottom