Is SSB obsolete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2savage

Vessel Name
Savage
Vessel Make
Seaton 50 expedition trawler
A few knowledgeable people have suggested that SSB is giving way to Sat phones and will soon go the way of the Dodo. Is this true?

(By the way, the Dodo became extinct for one important reason; they were delicious).

I don’t think that will happen. It’s the only means of long distance communications beyond line of sight that does need anything except a transmitter and receiver. Many years ago I worked with the Mystic Star Network operated by the Air Force for presidential and VIP support before there was SATCOM generally available. That network has been operating for more than 50 years that I know of and is still operating today. If I was going off shore, I would have an HF radio. Last year at Baronof Warm Springs I met someone out of Juneau with an marine HF set on his boat so he could call home without worrying about cell coverage.

Tom

Sat phones will not work on Independence Day The sequel. SSB will stay around a lot longer but maybe with fewer and fewer users.

Don't tell the US military, state department, and all of the merchant mariners out there that SSB is not going to around. SSB voice and SSB digital is the backbone of their communication systems.

I researched this once before, and apparently the Dodo was about as delicious as a penguin, ie., disgusting and inedible. They died off because the dogs, cats, rats and other invasive animals which the early sailors brought to the island destroyed and ate all the eggs, nests and birds themselves.

Yep, mankind should be very proud of its accomplishments.

Sat phones: even if it doesn't become obsolete and is used by commercial or military, it may very well be completely and utterly irrelevant for your use. Personally I would not install one - would go with an InReach or Iridium depending on needs.

Back
Top Bottom