SSB installation problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil23

Vessel Name
MV Unique
Vessel Make
Salthouse Coastal 35
Deciding to reinstall an SSB transceiver and counterpoise has become a job I am starting to regret.
I have a Kenwood TRC-70 plus a KISS Ground/Counterpoise and SG-230 Smartuner, I have endeavored to get advise from SGC in Seattle but have no reply.

My problem is:

The KISS Counterpoise can be mounted no more than 4 feet from the ATU/Coupler so the unit needs to be mounted in a storage locker in my saloon.

My whip antenna is mounted on top of my wheelhouse roof.
I am lead to believe a tuner should be right up close to the antenna base/connection.

Here lies my issue, it is aprox. 8 feet from the mounting position of the SGC-230 to my antenna base via internal cavities , am I on a Hiding To Nowhere or is there a solution.
I believe if equipment is installed in the vessel it MUST be operable or get rid of it!!
I am primarily installing the ssb for late night listening as I am a chronic insomniac so at the push to receive only while not optimum would be acceptable.:nonono::nonono:

Is there a solution to my distancing situation apart from hauling it all out.

Explore mounting the counterpoise a greater distance from the AT. In my case, the AT, which is ICOM, is mounted in the flybridge brow about 4' from the antenna. I don't have a KISS counterpoise but instead have a conventional copper band mostly in the engine room, 25 - 30 feet away. It works fine.

You might double check the 4' requirement -- it makes more sense that the AT be very near the antenna than that it be near the counterpoise.

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately the 4 foot specification is critical to its correct operation. I guess I am beaten!!

I am rethinking my installation and guess I need to ditch the KISS Counterpoise. What is the maximum distance an ATU/Antenna Controller can be from the antenna base/connection

I am rethinking my installation and guess I need to ditch the KISS Counterpoise. What is the maximum distance an ATU/Antenna Controller can be from the antenna base/connection

That single lead from antenna to tuner becomes part of the "tuned" antenna. Connect it up, it will work.

OK so I have installed everything as originally planned I can hear the antenna coupler working/seeking and I have static at the transceiver but no reception I would presume this may be due to daylight hours plus being on the marina with masts all around me Would my assumption be correct

Could be.
Do you know what frequency your on?
Try changing channels.
Some noise is better than no noise.
See if you can find another boater with a SSB and get him to transmit to you

If you cant hear the time standard on 5, 10, or 15MHz, something is likely wrong.

Back
Top Bottom