SSB installation and operation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil23

Vessel Name
MV Unique
Vessel Make
Salthouse Coastal 35
I desperately need help here as I am way over "my pay grade" here and have nowhere to go. I have been unable to find anyone within 3 hours of my location that will or can work on SSB.
I have reinstalled Kenwood TRC-70 transmitter via a SG-230 Smart Tuner and a KISS-SSB Counterpoise and a Pacific Aerials SSB antenna with 6db gain and a frequency range of 2.30 to 4.9 Mhz.
A good heavy cable travels from the antenna to the SG-230 and from there it is connected to the Kenwood transmitter.
The KISS counterpoise is connected right next to the SG-230 and spread out yo its full length in a saloon locker. Manufacturer advises this is quite acceptable and does not need to be in the engine room/below waterline.

The transmitter powers up and on turning the SGC-230 on you can hear it activate/chick.

I am unable to receive any incoming traffic nor able to transmit.
All help will be very gratefully appreciated :banghead:

Turn off all your electronics other than the SSB including your lights, inverter and refrigerator. Any stray RF will block out out or reduce your reception. Also, try to listen at dusk/early evening when propagation is tropically the best. When we installed our first one, being in a marina added to the noise and going out to anchor helped with the reception. All those pesky sailboat masts can act as signal blockers.

Here’s a link discussing HF radio time signal stations. These are on the air 24/7s and are a good reference to see how your reception is. You could also dial in the BBC and other world news stations.

https://goughlui.com/2020/01/18/pro...al-stations-the-constant-on-the-air-jan-2020/

You should at least be able to get the time broadcasts, which (if I recall correctly) announce the time every 60 seconds and tic every second. Depending on time of day and weather conditions, you may not pick up all frequencies, but 99% of the time at least one will work. In the US, and much of the world, they are at exactly 2, 5, 10, 15 and 20 MHz. It makes no sense to me, but "tuning" (by pressing the tune button, which briefly transmits at low power) with your automatic tuner may help. If you hear the signal, but with lots of background static, you need to eliminate any static that is produced on board. The best way to do that is to turn off every circuit then turn them (and equipment) back on one at a time. Even with everything off, you may still pick up appreciable static, which may be coming from boats near you, power lines, etc. Off shore it is a whole different experience.

Also, if you hear a bunch of static after turning everything off on board, try disconnecting your antenna, which should eliminate virtually all static. If it doesn't, you may have a problem with your radio. If it does, turning back on all the circuits on your ship will help you determine whether static is getting into your radio through the antenna (i.e., still no static, which is ideal) or if the static returns you can conclude it is through wiring, etc. If the later, ferrite rings around offending equipment power lines, etc., may help significantly.

Of course, being able to receive is only half the problem, but once that is tackled, the transmit part is relatively easy.

Lastly, developing a good understanding of the propagation and reception of radio frequencies will help greatly in maximizing the utility of your radio. The best way to do that is to take some ham radio courses, and as you master those, take the exams and get licensed. In the US, there are currently three levels: Technician, General and Extra

Last edited:
Do an internet search for local ham radio clubs. See if a member is willing to come down to your boat and check out your system. Simple things like a ferrite in the right place or improving your antenna connection or wiring to the antenna tuner can make a big difference. In the US other than the usual station and operator certificates you don’t need licenses as long as you stay on marine bands. Don’t know your situation but the science is simple and available with an hour or two on the internet. Wouldn’t bother with a formal course. SSB ( 802) for idiots is a quick read and good reference as well. Although we had a KVH we used the SSB more. Even used it for entertainment as receive draws so much less than transmit.
I loved my 802 with pacnor 4 modem. Saved huge bucks as our Satphone was used only for a few secure things like banking and rare mid ocean calls. It’s worth persevering as once set up correctly it’s easy pleasy to operate. Think the most common difficulties are due to simple wiring connections. Particularly with the antenna. In this neck of the world there’s a station out of New Orleans which is receivable almost always throughout the Caribbean and east coast. Probably something similar down by you if you ask around. Often running 400, 800, 1600 etc. helps and it’s not always by distance the station is away from you but usually is. Most weather routers and GRIB suppliers are on several frequencies so once you get to the point you can get any signal play a bit. The equipoise is a big deal. We had a copper strip glassed into the several different boats we have had. So wonder about yours.

Last edited:
Squelch setting? Rf gain setting? Is everything plugged in? You should hear something if just static if the antenna is connected.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom