Spot vs Delorme Inreach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another option, for those with a ham license, is APRS.

I'm installing an APRS-enabled 2M/70CM radio on the boat (Kenwood D710GA) and I'll be testing it this year on our annual trip up through the Canadian islands and Desolation Sound.

For years, I used a Spot for motorcycle touring, but upgraded to the Delorme Inreach last year. I'll compare the Inreach to the APRS this summer.

Anyone can check-out the site aprs.fi -- it uses Google Map and shows APRS was well as AIS targets. Just center it on your location.

The jury is still out, but if the APRS works as well as I suspect, I'll use it as primary, since the service is free, and includes texting via the packet feature.

Interesting. Let us know how that works out.

The nice thing about Spot or Inreach is that it is stupid simple to operate and cheap as far as the hardware investment. The setup you are talking about is relatively expensive in comparison, but as you mention it is then free to use from there.

Not knowing anything about HAM, what type of license would be required, technical or general? And how does the texting thing work?

Dave --

Yeah, I wouldn't have it just for the APRS feature, alone. The 2 Meter radio is also very useful for cruising -- it eliminates much of the marine VHF chatter, and there is, for example, a summer net that is available from Puget Sound through the entire length of Vancouver Island.

The Kenwood radio I chose is far from the cheapest way to go, but I wanted one with built-in APRS and GPS. There are many less expensive options.

These radios require a license for 2-way text & voice communications, but anyone can monitor the APRS beacon transmissions, which can include a short text message of your choice. Similar to Spot, but with your choice of text. Licensed Hams can send & receive short text messages directly on the radio without the need for a computer.

In your area, there are several options for obtaining a license -- only a Technician license is required for VHF/UHF work, and there is no longer a code requirement. One group near you would be the Mike and Key club (mikeandkey.org), among others. There is also a white paper regarding APRS on the Mike & Key website.

There are study guides available in both printed and kindle format through the ARRL (arrl.org). There are also Q&A guides on the internet.

I find having the ham radio on the boat to be invaluable. We've used the BC Boaters Net while cruising since the 90s. Family & friends at home can leave messages that will be relayed to you when you check-in. Check it out at BC Boater's Net Home Page

Uh oh....

I have familiar feeling in my gut when I have stumbled across something that is going to interest me a little too much...

Back
Top Bottom