Old 01-18-2020, 03:07 PM   #21
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Aruna
Vessel Model: Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventana View Post
We had the original SPOT and used it for several years to populate a position page on our blog. Was super easy to just push the button once we were anchored each day, and our position would show up on the map on our blog with no further actions on our part.

Bringing our boat north from Seattle in November, the person accompanying me had an In-Reach, and I liked the ability to text my wife every couple days to say we were OK.

Anyone using an In-Reach to populate a position page on line? Just wondering if it is as easy to send the info using it, as it was for the SPOT?

Yup it’s very easy. In fact, you don’t have to push a button - it can be set to do it every X minutes automatically which is what I use.

https://seabits.com/where/
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #22
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Now here's an InReach killer app...Birdseye Satellite Imagery downloaded onto your device:

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-B...ard-P2330.aspx

Imagine...working your way across an outer coast BC island with no trails but you know where all the little lakes are, so you can avoid them, or, you're on a mountain ridge and the clouds have moved in...is this the rock slide that goes over a cliff or is it the one with the awesome talus boot skiing run back to the meadow?
Old 01-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Now here's an InReach killer app...Birdseye Satellite Imagery downloaded onto your device:

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-B...ard-P2330.aspx

Imagine...working your way across an outer coast BC island with no trails but you know where all the little lakes are, so you can avoid them, or, you're on a mountain ridge and the clouds have moved in...is this the rock slide that goes over a cliff or is it the one with the awesome talus boot skiing run back to the meadow?

Ooh cool! I have the high def topographic maps on an extra card on my 86sci which have been nice while ashore. Didn’t see the satellite charts - would definitely be useful.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:01 PM   #24

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemitchell View Post
Yup it’s very easy. In fact, you don’t have to push a button - it can be set to do it every X minutes automatically which is what I use.

https://seabits.com/where/
Nice. Looks like you took a little boat ride to visit all my friends at their temporary home on McNeil.
Ventana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:34 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventana View Post
Nice. Looks like you took a little boat ride to visit all my friends at their temporary home on McNeil.
yes I have stayed a number of times at Eagle Island right nearby. Never had the pleasure of staying on McNeil itself though

I think that was from our South Sound trip a couple of years ago. I had a different boat then with really tall sticks and weird rags hanging from them. It went really slow and I bumped my head everywhere.

Having grown up in Gig Harbor / Fox Island, I'm familiar with the water down there quite a bit. I have a tentative trip planned for down there this spring.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:08 PM   #26
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Interesting
No comment re: Iridium Go

https://www.predictwind.com/iridium-...AaAlAmEALw_wcB

Any research I have done suggests it is superior to the alternatives.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Interesting

It also is waaaaaay more expensive and primarily targeted at people very far offshore using it for grabbing weather data. $60/month for 5 minutes of data, and texts are charged at $0.25/text. The next tier up is $105 and includes free texts and more stuff, but that's quite a bit more expensive.

Iridium's tracker function is also more complex and less frequent. You have to turn it on with their software, and it uses your SMS quota to send them out every hour (highest frequency from what I remember during my testing) so you really need the $105/month plan to make it work.

Spot and inReach are much cheaper monthly, and inReach offers a way to turn their plans off for months throughout the year if you're not cruising. I think I pay $20-30 a month for my inReach plan and get something like 100-200 texts a month as part of that, plus unlimited tracking.

Based on one the OP was looking for in terms of text messages and tracking, the Iridium Go doesn't seem like a perfect fit....
Old 01-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #28

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Interesting

We put Go units on all the passenger boats for the company I used to work for up here. Up side is that it offers voice and limited internet on top of texting and position functions. Down side is that the plan is expensive. There is an Alaska only plan that they do to make it a bit cheaper, but still nowhere near cheap.
Iridium brags about working everywhere, and they are probably the closest to making that happen, but because of terrain there are places in Alaska where nothing works.
Ventana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #29
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemitchell View Post
It also is waaaaaay more expensive and primarily targeted at people very far offshore using it for grabbing weather data. $60/month for 5 minutes of data, and texts are charged at $0.25/text. The next tier up is $105 and includes free texts and more stuff, but that's quite a bit more expensive.

Iridium's tracker function is also more complex and less frequent. You have to turn it on with their software, and it uses your SMS quota to send them out every hour (highest frequency from what I remember during my testing) so you really need the $105/month plan to make it work.

Spot and inReach are much cheaper monthly, and inReach offers a way to turn their plans off for months throughout the year if you're not cruising. I think I pay $20-30 a month for my inReach plan and get something like 100-200 texts a month as part of that, plus unlimited tracking.

Based on one the OP was looking for in terms of text messages and tracking, the Iridium Go doesn't seem like a perfect fit....
Thanks for that, I may have to rethink comms for our trip north.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote