Solenoids for Brower Davit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickyD

Guru
Vessel Name
Aquarius
Vessel Make
Californian 55 CPMY
I have a Brower davit (crane) with a Rule 3300 winch. Probably rated at 600 lbs lifting. Right now it only goes up, so after checking my control buttons and shorting the contacts at the davit, I'm assuming my problem is a bad down solenoid. I ordered two new ones only I ordered the wrong configuration. They were 300 amp 12v continuous duty. Now I find a replacement that is the correct configuration but it is only 150 amp rated. I also did find one with 200 amp 12v DC rated. It this going to be strong enough?

Should be fine. A winch is not a continuous duty application.

There are reversing solenoids on the market that are made for winches and will eliminate the two solenoid setup many boats come OEM with.

This makes for a simple, easy to maintain system

Also... check the actual operating current of your crane under load.
Mine has a rule winch as well and is protected by a 70 amp breaker.

There are reversing solenoids on the market that are made for winches and will eliminate the two solenoid setup many boats come OEM with.

This makes for a simple, easy to maintain system

Also... check the actual operating current of your crane under load.
Mine has a rule winch as well and is protected by a 70 amp breaker.

Thank you Kevin. One of my dock mates is better with this stuff than I and he is going to help me install a reversing 500amp waterproof solenoid. This ought to work, unless my problem is somewhere in the wiring. In any case I'll have eliminated an old solenoid system.

Thank you Kevin. One of my dock mates is better with this stuff than I and he is going to help me install a reversing 500amp waterproof solenoid. This ought to work, unless my problem is somewhere in the wiring. In any case I'll have eliminated an old solenoid system.

Replaced the two solenoid system with a waterproof 500amp reversing solenoid. Its all good. Now I'm going to add a wireless control for it so I can drop the hook while I'm sitting in the dinghy then haul it up to the top deck.

Back
Top Bottom