Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I am jealous.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
That is a thing of beauty! I like that you can walk between the panels. It'll be interesting to see how they lay and protect the wiring, but I bet you already know.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:14 PM   #23
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
I recently installed 4 120W panels, used a Midnite Solar "Kid" controller. I have the noise in the VHF radios, one worse than the other, and to the extent that I can't squelch it when the panels are at any more than about 30% output. VERY annoying. I turn the controller off while underway so I can use the VHF's. Also annoying. I also wanted to use high quality gear, the Midnite Solar has a good reputation. Evidently this problem is known, I had sent the controller back in warranty for another problem and asked about the RFI. They apologized about the noise, and suggested I install ferrite cores, which I did with no appreciable change.

My understanding is that because a solar controller is rated as an electrical control device, not a radio device, it is not required to meet FCC part 15. I'm fuzzy on how the regulations apply here, but regardless, it is noisy. The noise is coming from the controller, the electronic switching part of the MPPT circuitry is what creates the noise. If the controller were rated as a marine electronic device, it would be required to not create RFI, but that drives up the cost of the equipment. It's already over $300.

I've not received any further offers of a solution from the manufacturer, I have sent another note that refers to this thread and the fact that others are having this problem. They do sell a "marine" version, AFAIK, the only difference is that the marine version is white, has a trunion mount, and has a battery temperature sesnsor.

At this point I can't recommend the "Kid" controller. Although it appears to be well built and the function/features are excellent, for me the RFI is a deal breaker. Perhaps I'll hear more from Midnite, we'll see. It seems to me that if they intend to market their product for a marine application, it should be compatible with other electronics, FCC part 15 notwithstanding.
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #24

City: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
I recently installed 4 120W panels, used a Midnite Solar "Kid" controller. I have the noise in the VHF radios, one worse than the other, and to the extent that I can't squelch it when the panels are at any more than about 30% output. VERY annoying. I turn the controller off while underway so I can use the VHF's. Also annoying. I also wanted to use high quality gear, the Midnite Solar has a good reputation. Evidently this problem is known, I had sent the controller back in warranty for another problem and asked about the RFI. They apologized about the noise, and suggested I install ferrite cores, which I did with no appreciable change.

My understanding is that because a solar controller is rated as an electrical control device, not a radio device, it is not required to meet FCC part 15. I'm fuzzy on how the regulations apply here, but regardless, it is noisy. The noise is coming from the controller, the electronic switching part of the MPPT circuitry is what creates the noise. If the controller were rated as a marine electronic device, it would be required to not create RFI, but that drives up the cost of the equipment. It's already over $300.

I've not received any further offers of a solution from the manufacturer, I have sent another note that refers to this thread and the fact that others are having this problem. They do sell a "marine" version, AFAIK, the only difference is that the marine version is white, has a trunion mount, and has a battery temperature sesnsor.

At this point I can't recommend the "Kid" controller. Although it appears to be well built and the function/features are excellent, for me the RFI is a deal breaker. Perhaps I'll hear more from Midnite, we'll see. It seems to me that if they intend to market their product for a marine application, it should be compatible with other electronics, FCC part 15 notwithstanding.

Well written and informative post, thank you ................. FB
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #25
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
My understanding is that because a solar controller is rated as an electrical control device, not a radio device, it is not required to meet FCC part 15. I'm fuzzy on how the regulations apply here, but regardless, it is noisy.
That's interesting. I know every electronics product I have ever built required FCC testing and certification. But maybe that's because they were all computer related products?
Old 08-31-2016, 09:36 AM   #26

City: Palmetto Bay
Vessel Name: Sunshine
Vessel Model: Island Pilot DSe 12m Hybrid
I have approximately 6,000 watts of Sun Power panels and 2 each Outback controllers - 60 Amps each at 48v nominal. System was installed fall 2008 and has been working since with no issues. Battery is LiFePo 1,000 AH 48 volts.

I highly recommend Outback controllers along with their inverters.

"Sunshine" has not been plugged in to shore power for years.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:40 AM   #27
FF
Guru

I have an 85W solar panel , LUCY has not been plugged in for a decade.

No shore power line , or inlet or requirement.Or noisemaker.

KISS
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #28
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
And they are up.
Tomorrow leccy comes back to connect

Update
Wired a week ago and disconnected from shore power to see what happened. Had 5 people on board in the afternoon partying til 2am, plenty of lights fridge and icemaker usage, TV and mini PC running in background to use power, stereo running and hot showers for all.
Sat. Morning 7am batts at 67.8% by 2pm at 100%. 6pm 99.5%
Sun 7am with 2 onboard and usual load 79.3%. 9am 81.5% and by lunchtime 100%
Running 2 door 500l fridge freezer icemaker + additional bar fridge + 140l 240v hot water system . Lights,TV, pumps etc.

Been doing pretty much the same for a week now appart from a few days where we had rain, but still never hit the 50% charge floor.
Looking like a win
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
WOW!! Those are impressive numbers. Solar only - no genset or engine run time, right?

Congrats on a well designed and installed system!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #30
Guru

Correct, solar only.
We have since thrown a bar fridge style freezer into the mix running full time and have used the household front loading washing machine a few times on sunny days, no genset, all inverter.

We did have an issue when we had a few rainy days and a diode in the genset died but we were still getting some solar in but were forced to turn off the bar fridge for a few days until we got the genset repaired.
Lowest the batts saw was 50.3%.

All good again and back living the dream.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #31

City: Kirkland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Been doing pretty much the same for a week now appart from a few days where we had rain, but still never hit the 50% charge floor.
Looking like a win
May I ask, what was your budget? Estimated and final?
I really like the setup and those numbers!
utazo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by utazo89 View Post
May I ask, what was your budget? Estimated and final?
I really like the setup and those numbers!
Panels, batteries, inverter/charger , mppt and instal was just under $10k.
Solar alone was about $2500 of that.

Still all working well.
Most days batts at 100% before lunchtime and batts at around 78% in the morning.