solar or generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve often wondered why you nearly never see wind generators on power boats.

A lot of it comes down to mounting issues. I've thought about it, but short of putting a large pole (with stays, etc.) on the aft deck that's tall enough to get the wind gen up above the bimini, it wouldn't be particularly effective. And doing that would be a serious project and rather ugly as well, so there are probably a lot of things I could better spend the money on (considering good wind gens aren't cheap to start with).

A lot of it comes down to mounting issues. I've thought about it, but short of putting a large pole (with stays, etc.) on the aft deck that's tall enough to get the wind gen up above the bimini, it wouldn't be particularly effective. And doing that would be a serious project and rather ugly as well, so there are probably a lot of things I could better spend the money on (considering good wind gens aren't cheap to start with).
Oh, I don't know, every boat is different. I have a crane davit on the boat deck that will never again be used. It is four inches in diameter. I can see cutting it off at its highest vertical point and welding a vertical extension that would well support a wind generator. Worth the cost? Not to me but for some others, perhaps. Simi 60, cost is not the sole consideration for some folks. If it were, few would buy a boat.

Oh, I don't know, every boat is different. I have a crane davit on the boat deck that will never again be used. It is four inches in diameter. I can see cutting it off at its highest vertical point and welding a vertical extension that would well support a wind generator. Worth the cost? Not to me but for some others, perhaps. Simi 60, cost is not the sole consideration for some folks. If it were, few would buy a boat.

That would definitely be a good mounting option. But much like a boat that can fit enough solar panels that you'd never wish for more, being able to fit a wind gen that easily is unfortunately fairly rare.

. Simi 60, cost is not the sole consideration for some folks. .

Just saying, I could get 16,000w of solar panels vs 250w power output from wind.
66 X more power generation for the same price.
Thats not about money, that's about sensibilities.

. If it were, few would buy a boat

Oh, I see what you did there (-;

Last edited:
What’s missing is actual experience with both and consideration of where you cruise. Neither solar nor wind consistently produce to their full capacity. Solar doesn’t produce for 1/2 the day nor during inclement times. Wind produces all times of day but very poorly in light air. Over the year solar did produce more but not by much. Think this was a reflection of two D400s and the trade winds. Wind needs at least 10k to give anything useful but we were in a very windy area (the Windwards)for winters and a intermittently cloudy/rainy area for summer (the NE). Wind takes up no deck space. Had two. Easily could do four. Solar does so could only find space for two on top of the hard Bimini.
It’s not only cost,nor theoretical production, nor space but all of them. Beyond that one should consider the efficacy of the boat. Our boat was DC (including the WM) except for the HVAC. We nearly never ran the AC units. For us in terms of quality of life having the ability to charge when solar was doing nothing meant no genset. Current boat gets the genset on anytime we move if we want the Seakeeper. It’s 11kw so we’re charging as well. Obviously if you’re genset dependent as we are now this conversation is moot.

What’s missing is actual experience with both and consideration of where you cruise. Neither solar nor wind consistently produce to their full capacity. Solar doesn’t produce for 1/2 the day nor during inclement times. Wind produces all times of day but very poorly in light air. Over the year solar did produce more but not by much. Think this was a reflection of two D400s and the trade winds. Wind needs at least 10k to give anything useful but we were in a very windy area (the Windwards)for winters and a intermittently cloudy/rainy area for summer (the NE). Wind takes up no deck space. Had two. Easily could do four. Solar does so could only find space for two on top of the hard Bimini.
It’s not only cost,nor theoretical production, nor space but all of them. Beyond that one should consider the efficacy of the boat. Our boat was DC (including the WM) except for the HVAC. We nearly never ran the AC units. For us in terms of quality of life having the ability to charge when solar was doing nothing meant no genset. Current boat gets the genset on anytime we move if we want the Seakeeper. It’s 11kw so we’re charging as well. Obviously if you’re genset dependent as we are now this conversation is moot.
Nothing wrong with being genset dependent. It's just another choice to fit particular needs. There is no right or wrong here, just personal preferences.

Obviously if you’re genset dependent as we are now this conversation is moot.

I dunno. We're genset dependent in the sense that we have a few things on board that need the genset if we want to use them (A/C, electric stove, water heater). But adding solar cut our generator runtime down dramatically, as in decent weather, we don't run it for battery charging even if we don't move for a few days. We just run it when we need it to power something big, then shut it down when we're done.

I would not consider a boat with a broken generator.

I bought a boat with a broken generator. That fact (and the newly rebuilt engine) sealed the deal. A non-functioning generator is a huge liability to those who are dependent on them and apparently a lot of boaters are. For me, it reduced the selling price and is just additional ballast until I can get rid of it. Two more batteries in it's place will be cheaper than fixing the generator and give us plenty of quiet time at anchor.

For us, it isn't so much where we cruise that determines the "necessity" of having a generator or solar. It's how we cruise. I suppose one could "need" to run a generator to heat hot water for a 15 minute shower in the morning, and then keep it running for the water maker because of the 15 minute shower, and then keep it running for . . . . . How could a person survive without that stuff? Turns out, quite easily. I might have to shower in the evening when the water is still hot from the day's run. Or in the afternoon when the solar shower is ready. Oh the inconvenience!

The need for a generator could be a sign that your boat is too big. :whistling:

The rap I always heard about wind turbines was the noise carrying down the mast and throughout the boat. Like a generator, some can get used to it. But since I'm used to silence at anchor, I think I might find it irritating. And then I'd have to make a choice. Reduce my electrical load or listen to a wind turbine all night. I've always chosen listening to the wind.

I bought a boat with a broken generator. That fact (and the newly rebuilt engine) sealed the deal. A non-functioning generator is a huge liability to those who are dependent on them and apparently a lot of boaters are. For me, it reduced the selling price and is just additional ballast until I can get rid of it. Two more batteries in it's place will be cheaper than fixing the generator and give us plenty of quiet time at anchor.

For us, it isn't so much where we cruise that determines the "necessity" of having a generator or solar. It's how we cruise. I suppose one could "need" to run a generator to heat hot water for a 15 minute shower in the morning, and then keep it running for the water maker because of the 15 minute shower, and then keep it running for . . . . . How could a person survive without that stuff? Turns out, quite easily. I might have to shower in the evening when the water is still hot from the day's run. Or in the afternoon when the solar shower is ready. Oh the inconvenience!

The rap I always heard about wind turbines was the noise carrying down the mast and throughout the boat. Like a generator, some can get used to it. But since I'm used to silence at anchor, I think I might find it irritating. And then I'd have to make a choice. Reduce my electrical load or listen to a wind turbine all night. I've always chosen listening to the wind.

I can heat the water via a loop to the main engine. The microwave can be supported by the batteries in short bursts. The stove and A/C need a generator. I guess I could put the griddle plate on the gas grill and put the pots and pans there but....
My generator exhausts under water so it is pretty quiet.

Should check out D400s. We needed to look at them to see if they were spinning. Several of the newer brands of wind generators are just about silent.
Perhaps over stated our current situation. At anchor with no Seakeeper boat is silent with no need for genset. Wife doesn’t like AC and this boat has great ventilation so expect AC only on humid, or rainy days. Genset for those and to make water.

Should check out D400s. We needed to look at them to see if they were spinning. Several of the newer brands of wind generators are just about silent.
Perhaps over stated our current situation. At anchor with no Seakeeper boat is silent with no need for genset. Wife doesn’t like AC and this boat has great ventilation so expect AC only on humid, or rainy days. Genset for those and to make water.
Hippo - in the next month or so I will have hardware for Flopper Stopper poles fabricated. For my boat, will use 8'-10' 2-inch aluminum poles that stow along side of boat deck when not used.

Let me know if you're interested in a set of end pieces. You'd have to source the 2-inch pole locally (Forespare anodized is great, but any 2 inch schedule 40 is fine). You'd also have to figure out how to rig. But would provide at-anchor stabilization without running the generator. If I had to guess, would be in the $1200 range for two sets.

Peter

:rofl: Good one! Funny and true the bigger they are the more room for stuff that wants power.

Thanks Peter. Blowing boat bucks like crazy refitting. Very kind offer but need to deal with the top of the list first.

OP here, I think my course of action if I purchased a boat with no gen or one that wasn't worth repairing to me. I would lean towards a nice solar set-up and house bank along with a recharging via the main engine. Also would stow a small inverter generator to power A/C and a battery charger if necessary. Having a small portable generator on board could be useful for other things too.

Like was recommended, I had to analyze our boat and use and what our expectations are. We are shopping for something around the 34' size, we don't want to be "camping" but know we aren't getting a boat with all the comforts of home. This is our first bigger boat with plans to learn with then deciding if we want to go bigger.

Back
Top Bottom