Solar and alternator wires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
I am a new boat owner and due to the lack of documentation, I cannot really describe my present electrical wiring and installed units' schema. I'd like to understand my boat better, so I need someone who could take a look and consult with me about it.
I have future plans to install a 3-4 panel solar set with controllers, etc., but I cannot start planning until I know what I have?
I'd be happy to send photos of my ER, which could help the starting point of the discussion. I am in the PNW.
Thanks.

Leoka:

This is strictly a hands on, be there and see it yourself endeavor. Descriptions and pics won't do the job. Find a knowledgeable local or at worst pay a marine electrician to go over everything with you.

I am pretty good at this stuff and I never knew my previous boat's electrical systems hands down. I was always learning something new.

When you get ready to look at adding solar panels, read the two articles I wrote that you can find in the Library section on this forum.

David

David
Do you have links to your postings? I have no idea where the Library section is here.

David
Do you have links to your postings? I have no idea where the Library section is here.

Hit the Library link on the upper right of the forum page.

David

LeoKa, It takes a lot of time for an electrical ignoramus such as myself to figure out and document an electrical scheme. I think it is worth it however. Otherwise, Dave’s advise as to hire a professional or buy a knowledgable friend a beer or two to have it done for you. You are correct in surmising that before you add anything, you really need to know what you have.

If you aren’t sure you can figure out your system, then you won’t be able to design a solar system and it would be worth it to hire it done.

Thanks guys. The documents in the Library are excellent. I will read them all. Perhaps I will hire out the job, if I can afford it. Perhaps not. I like to learn things and do things. Either way, it is very beneficial to me to understand the system, and what a pro installer would tell me. Honestly, I'd rather spend the money on hardware, instead of on labor to someone. I also know my limitations, so I will not venture into something I am not confident about. I have plenty of time for this installation, so a learning curve will not be a bad thing.

Installing the new hardware shouldn't be much of a problem if you're reasonably handy and educate yourself on the new device. I believe that once you have a grasp of how your boat is wired it will make a lot of other things about upgrades more clear.

Ken

LeoKa,

I had the same problem you did. I was able to start at the alternator and trace the wires to a Guest type switch. Both battery banks same thing - traced to switch. If you want to know what is going on with those switches, take them apart.. there is usually lots of wires there and the only way I could have figured mine out was to do that. Also a good opportunity to clean up the contacts. The loutribal string here is pretty informative and a solar string by dhays is also full of info.

Read the strings and also the operator manuals on any devices you have

Yes, I uploaded photo into an album in my profile. Check it out.

Only one way to get an understanding of your wiring setup... Follow the wire!

L

"Only one way to get an understanding of your wiring setup... Follow the wire!"

YES!

And then draw a schematic of what you find.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom