Solar Active During Winter Layup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hobbystuff

Vessel Name
Waves of Grace
Vessel Make
Universal 36
So here is the situation.

When I put my boat away for the winter months, we are plugged into shorepower. My inverter/charger is designed to manage the batteries in this mode. I also have solar installed, which wakes up every morning when the sun shines and goes into bulk mode.

I am wondering if during the off season, when we aren't using the batteries, if it is a better solution to turn off the solar so it doesn't wake up every morning, ramp the voltage up and go through the Bulk/Absorption/Float cycle every day. Let the inverter/charger handle it all during storage.

Thoughts?

It won't hurt to shut it off. But as long as it drops to float quickly after reaching absorption voltage when the batteries are full, it won't hurt to leave it on either. However, if it's spending hours at absorb voltage with already full batteries, the batteries will thank you for turning off the solar.

I don't have solar but when I winterize my boat up here in Wisconsin, (for around 5 or 6 months). I like to have everything OFF. Batteries disconnected, no shore power, all breakers in OFF position.

I just rest easier. Everything can be reactivated in an easy couple hours. I don't worry about a short, lightning strike, static electricity, ghost power drains.

pete

If there are no loads, I'd unplug the shore cord and just leave the solar on. I've done this for years with the RV and the sailboat. You will want to make sure your solar controller has settings to allow transition from bulk/absorb based on voltage, not a fixed time.

There. Should be no problem leaving a good solar controller connected along with a good shore power charger even with little or no loads connected.

David

I’d go with what DDW says. If nothing is draining the batteries a few solar watts every few days is all you need to stay topped up and not over charged.

I’d use shore power and a xantrex or similar charger.
The battery people including the well known store on Westlake (Seattle) Boat Electric ? ... recommended to keep them fully charged at all times. About a constant 13.7 volts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-discharge.

Solar can easily make up the claimed 4-6% monthly loss from internal discharge.

A simple solution to charging water loss, is to turn down the float setting to about 13.2 ., and remember to turn it back up when using the system.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom