smart plug and socket failed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was an upgrade to the early Boat side socket that had a thermal breaker in it that would kick off, or eventually fail randomly. ABYC did not like that it came back on randomly. Smartplug will send you a retro fit kit with new boat side socket and plug innards to fix this issue at no charge (at least they did for me and a buddy after we experienced the random failures.)

After speaking with Terry (see post by SPS) I am all fixed up. Thanks all.

The early Smart Plugs were known for this. Nothing wrong with the connection, but the thermal protection circuit cuts you off erroneously. I believe they have since addressed it by redesigning the circuit.

The bi-metal thermostats in our first generation 30A inlets were designed to shut off power at around 200 degrees Fahrenheit and will resume power once the inlet cools off to around 120 degrees. We have thousands of these thermostat units in the market. I have been providing customer service and dealing with warranty issues for our Smartplug products for over 6 years. It is very uncommon to have them fail as there is no mechanical mechanism. It is only activated by the temperature on the inlet.

The bi-metal thermostats in our first generation 30A inlets were designed to shut off power at around 200 degrees Fahrenheit and will resume power once the inlet cools off to around 120 degrees. We have thousands of these thermostat units in the market. I have been providing customer service and dealing with warranty issues for our Smartplug products for over 6 years. It is very uncommon to have them fail as there is no mechanical mechanism. It is only activated by the temperature on the inlet.

Yeah, I was about to submit that 105 deg C is about the top limit of most formulations of PVC that surround wire. So, a 200deg F thermo makes sense to me. I do safety assessments of various electrical things at work, and I wanted to touch on an earlier question of temperature RISE. If you assume a top ambient temperature of 40 deg C for the cordset (in sun), then the max rise would be near 60 deg C. BUT, that is measured at the hot spot, namely the metal conductor, not the outside of the connector. So, a shot with a IR gun won't get you that temp.

...Circuit breakers are not designed to shut off a gradually applied overload, they are designed to react to a short circuit so breakers will not save you!

Most breakers you will come across are dual action. They have a very fast response magnetic element, in addition to a slow acting bimetal thermal element. Thus the term "thermal magnetic" or even "hydraulic/magnetic". But, YES, not a solution to a hot connector.
If boat fires at the inlet connector prove to be an ongoing issue, I predict a thermal FUSE will be mandated by the safety police. Once and done, you buy a new cord set.

Last edited:
Just to be clear: The original protection device in the SmartPlug did not react to electrical overload or short circuit. It was only triggered by temperature greater than the set point.

And the issue was?

A bimetal overtemp cutout in the boatside end was failing.
And the solution was?

A new boat side end is on its way to me. Updated version without the bimetal cutout, so shouldn't have the propensity to fail.

This forum is fantastic, now if I could get a new fifty foot fifty amp power cord? Maybe a go fund me right on this page.

Me 2. Now for some go fund me friends. :)

A new boat side end is on its way to me. Updated version without the bimetal cutout, so shouldn't have the propensity to fail.

That’s great news.

Does this mean that SmartPlugs no longer include thermal protection? I thought that was one of the selling points.

"Glad I don’t have to pay for that power cord."

Its paid for once, the horror would be deploying and rewinding it every night on a cruise.

I replaced my Marinco 30a plugs and sockets after a failure damaged some equipment. The SmartPlug seems more secure and it is easier to connect. The ease of use is worth it just by itself. Anybody can plug it in without thinking about it.

My 2 inlets are very inconviently placed so you can’t see to line them up, apparently a design feature, I really like the Smart Plugs because they are so easy to plug in besides the much larger contact area.

Back
Top Bottom