Simrad vs Furuno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As expected most every brand is liked by some.

I’ve had Furuno depth recorders and they were great, other products not so much. I really think most all brands are good I’m just use to Garmin. My dealer who sells most all brands and has them set up in a showroom, he had me try them all and work them by plotting a course. Garmin I could do without a book.

The new Furono gear I have is very intuitive, and easy to use. I still like to drill down in the manuals for fun and to make sure I am doing things properly.

It’s only an opinion - but I’d seriously consider the brand (any brand) sold to you by the vendor you most trust to look after you in the long term- good and bad. I’d say most ‘brand name’ electronics are pretty same-same in terms of hardware quality and software/maps for 90% of users. Professional and ‘hardcore’ amateurs will choose on specific features that (they think) are better supported by their choice or brand (or his/her parent always had xyz and so has s/he - that simple).

My humble opinion.

Last edited:
I’d seriously consider the brand (any brand) sold to you by the vendor you most trust to look after you in the long term....... Professional and ‘hardcore’ amateurs will choose on specific features that (they think) are better supported by their choice or brand....
That's exactly my approach to buying electronics....not being an electronic nerd, I have to trust my long time relationship with my electronic Guru. :blush:

Attachments

• Chart, Radar & Fuel.jpg
    Chart, Radar & Fuel.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 49
  • chart & radar.jpg
    chart & radar.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
What do you perceive as “overkill” about Furuno? If it’s cost, I think you will find all the vendors within spitting distance of each other for a system.

I think one reason people gravitate towards other than Furuno is for whiz bank new features. Furuno is slow to add such stuff, on only does so when it actually aids navigation.

If you want to run a boat, go Furuno. If you want the latest is stereo control, internet browsing, and flying your drone, consider one of the others

I cannot agree with your conclusions- especially when the USCG (who do run their boats) are outfitting new boats and retrofitting older vessels with Raymarine gear.

In today's environment, and for the vessels that on TF, any of the major manufacturers offer solid solutions.

Pau

So your saying Raymarine was the lowest bidder?

Nope.

Contrary to popular belief, government contracts do take more than the lowest bid into consideration. Performance specs, repair parts availability and support, and more factor in.

I don’t know all the specifics of the particular RFQ, but in the end Raymarine got the bid- and we all k ow Raymarine gear isn’t bottom shelf.

Nope.

Contrary to popular belief, government contracts do take more than the lowest bid into consideration. Performance specs, repair parts availability and support, and more factor in.

I don’t know all the specifics of the particular RFQ, but in the end Raymarine got the bid- and we all k ow Raymarine gear isn’t bottom shelf.

I don’t know that. In fact I was always under the impression that Raymarine was the bottom of the shelf.......

Nope.

Raymarine has consistently bid what it took to get large deals including government contracts. They also built a wide knowledge and desire for government bidding when they were part of Raytheon.

I personally wouldn't feel better or worse about them for this bid. To cite performance specs on government contracts overlooks huge numbers of disasters. In fact, what government bidding most neglects is performance after the sale. Many companies do not aggressively go after government contracts as they don't especially like them. They do impose some additional requirements on companies.

I might point out that Raymarine used aggressive bidding with Sea Ray and with the L Series it turned into disaster as equipment was installed that really wasn't ready and much had to be serviced and even replaced. To their credit they did stand behind it.

I would consider Raymarine mid shelf. Certainly I'd put them above Simrad. I've been told their customer service is improving as it needed to. I had good luck with Garmin but many are turned off today by some of their changes and by their lack of continued support for legacy products. Raymarine and Garmin would be my mid shelf companies.

There is talk above of the local electronics dealer and trust for them and that's certainly valuable and for those who boat primarily locally it may be the key. However, for those who boat in many different places and especially outside the US, then the global support of the manufacturer becomes very important. This is a place where Furuno's proliferation of commercial business comes into play as their support is excellent most any area you might cruise. If you don't leave an area such as the PNW and have a local dealer who is great with another brand then Furuno's wider support means little or nothing to you. It's the local dealer you depend on. However, if you're seeking support in Golfito, then the Furuno support to all the commercial ships that come there may be very valuable.

I think any of the four discussed here can do the job. The only one I would not buy is Simrad and that's largely due to support. Otherwise I think it's personal preference, local support, and worldwide support one looks at. If buying a new boat it may also be what the builder offers or what they're most comfortable with. Typically builders offer a choice. If they offer only one choice, that may be a good choice but it's also likely the one who "bought" their business with the best financial deal.

I think Furuno is probably top shelf, on the other hand I have a Simrad NSE-12 that has been outstanding. When I had an issue with the install, the techs from local businesses told me it would be weeks at soonest before they could deal with my unit. If you are going to have a professional install and are willing to wait for your appointment date, and $$ are not an issue for you, I would go with Furuno.

On the other hand, I installed my Simrad unit myself, it was plug and play, and took only one call to support to have everything functioning perfectly. Six years into using it and starting my seventh, I would have no hesitation to buy Simrad again.

I also saved about 30% on the cost of the package through online sales, and picked up bundled 3G radar that I otherwise probably wouldn't have been considering. I did have one issue with my charts not loading, the tech support talked me through diagnosis and it turned out to be a corrupted chart chip. My experience with Navionics support is five star!

All the photos I can google up of USCG vessels suggests their radars are Furuno. Just saying...

Every USCG, Harbor Patrol, and Navy boat in our area (and there are a lot of them, including newer vessels) use Furono from what I can see visually.

When the Furuno radars disappear from the roofs of Washington State Ferries and Coast Guard vessels, I'll contemplate switching. They are very rugged and dependable. Customer support, whether phone, email or at the service center at Camas is top notch. They are very consumer oriented.

I have a Furuno 1830 3kw radar built in 1989 on my boat. It works flawlessly. I bought a new Furuno 1832 as a replacement for it but it did not perform as well as the 1830. Took the 1832 to Furuno Service in Camas for repair. They tuned and adjusted it. No improvement after reinstall. Sold the 1832 and put the 1830 back in and still functions flawlessly.

My second radar is a Furuno FCR 1100 10 kw manufactured in 1996, purchased in 2006 used. Had Furuno Service in Camas test and and tune it. Has been working flawlessly since.

I have a Furuno GP32 purchased new in 2000. Works flawlessly.

I have a Simrad Robertson AP35 autopilot purchased new in 2000. It has worked flawlessly 20 years. This autopilot was purchased right after Simrads acquisition of Robertson and was manufactured when Robertson was located in Lynwood Washington. The pump is not a Simrad but an Accusteer.

Back
Top Bottom