Simrad AP20 to Raymarine Integration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hgamsby

I'm looking to interface my Simrad AP20 with my Raymarine es9 MFD
Does the AP20 put out rudder angle on NMEA? Can I control the AP from the chartplotter?

Henry Gamsby

The AP 20 will need to be interfaced with NEMA 0183. With 0183, you can use the MFD to setup navigation tracks, but you will need to control functions of the AP 20 through the control panel. Mine works well this way, but I doubt you can get rudder information back to the MFD over 0183. I'm not aware of any MFDs that don't offer 0183 input / output (4 wires).

Ted

Last edited:
While we're at it, I'm trying to plug in my Garmin chartplotter to an old Wagner autopilot. The manual calls for a signal connector to accomplish this. Both units are NEMA 0183. Wagner has been out of business for years, ergo, I cannot purchase a signal connector from them.Is there such a thing available on the market?

As mentioned you will need to use NMEA 0183 to connect your AP20 to your plotter. While you will not be able to control the autopilot manually through the plotter you can use the Raymarine track function. While in track mode the plotter will tell the AP were to steer. I run an AP20 connected to a E140w and it works very well together.

While we're at it, I'm trying to plug in my Garmin chartplotter to an old Wagner autopilot. The manual calls for a signal connector to accomplish this. Both units are NEMA 0183. Wagner has been out of business for years, ergo, I cannot purchase a signal connector from them.Is there such a thing available on the market?

Don't know if you have seen this site. Might be worth reaching out to them.

Wagner MP320 Autopilot Parts & Accessories via Marine-Plus.Com  Merchant

Ted

I originally had mixed instruments. Simrad (plotter & radio) and RayMarine (auto-pilot and depth sounder). It was annoying, to say the least. Things never seemed to play "nicely" together. Troubleshooting was a pain, because Raymarine would say it's Simrad's problem and Simrad would say it's Raymarine's problem. I gradually standardized to Raymarine all the way around. While that meant retiring a couple of things before their expected ends-of-life, I am so glad I did this. Things are about as close to "plug-and-play" as one can get and software upgrades are a breeze. Further to this, you get to enjoy full feature sets of units depending on connectivity and interoperability.

The only "regret" I have about going all Raymarine is that now, I want a forward-looking-sonar...and Simrad has one. Raymarine does not. Such is life...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom