Old 04-01-2022, 11:19 AM   #1

City: Bradenton FL
Vessel Name: Black Horse
Vessel Model: Med Yachts 62
Simrad AP - Do I Need 2 Control Heads?

Going to have a NAC-3 autopilot installed. Quote included 2 AP48 control heads, but I wonder if I need both since the AP will connect to my NMEA2K network and Garmin chartplotter. I understand having one for full Simrad AP functionality.

I assume I can control the AP from the Garmin on the flybridge? I'm sure many of you have the Simrad units - what say you?
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:51 AM   #2

City: Isleton
Vessel Name: Maverick
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
We just installed a SIMRAD AP system. NAC 3, AP 48, and 2 FU 80 remote stations and a RF 25n rudder follower. We have 4 Garmin MFD’s 3 8208’s and one 8212. We cannot control the AP through the MFD’s, but can set waypoints on the AP 48 using data from one chart plotter only. I had to sort out how to do that on my own - SIMRAD customer support was less than helpful.
So you will probably want the second AP 48 or maybe just the AP44 at your second station.

I would also say if you have the NMEA 2000 backbone in place the installation and commissioning is pretty easy. Also impressed with how well the system works.
Eric
helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:14 PM   #3
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I have a Simrad MFD and use it to control the autopilot, but I would be surprised if another brand of MFD would act as a control head...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
I have heard of purchasing the smallest Simrad Cruise (the cheapest Simrad MFD) and using it as a autohelm controller rather than purchasing a AP48. You can also buy just the OP12 if you don't need a display, just want to be able to turn it on/off and adjust course.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:22 PM   #5
Guru

City: Vermont
Your Garmin will not work as a substitute for the Simrad AP control panel. The control panel communications is all proprietary and only works between AP and MFD of the same vendor.

What WILL work (or can work if set up correctly) is the Simrad AP can follow a route that is set up on the Garmin. But you have to switch the AP from Standby to Navigate using the Simrad panel. The Simrad will then follow the waypoints for any active route on the Garmin. Then if you want to switch from Nav mode to Auto mode on the pilot, you again need to do it via the Simrad display panel. And similarly to go back into Standby. It's not a big deal, and in many ways having a panel with dedicated buttons is preferable to hunting through menus on an MFD.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:36 PM   #6

City: Bradenton FL
Vessel Name: Black Horse
Vessel Model: Med Yachts 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
...What WILL work (or can work if set up correctly) is the Simrad AP can follow a route that is set up on the Garmin. But you have to switch the AP from Standby to Navigate using the Simrad panel. The Simrad will then follow the waypoints for any active route on the Garmin....

That's good enough for me. Is there a 'trick' to this or does the functionality exist just via the Navigate function of the AP?
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:48 PM   #7
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
That's good enough for me. Is there a 'trick' to this or does the functionality exist just via the Navigate function of the AP?

You need two things for it to work:

1) You need a route on the Garmin, and it needs to be activated. I have never used a Garmin, so I don't know how you do that, nor whether they call it "activating" a route or something else. But it causes the Garmin to broadcast info for the next waypoint, and how far off the trackline the boat is, and in what direction. It's then up to the pilot to steer the boat and keep it on the trackline.

2) You need communications between the Garmin and the pilot. This will probably be NMEA 2000. That let's the pilot listen to the route ino.

When you put the pilot in Nav mode, it listens to the waypoint and track info and steers the boat to keep it on the track. It's a very simple communication and protocol, and standardized across all pilots and charting devices.