Simple low voltage alarm needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PMF1984

Guru
Vessel Name
Wanderer
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
I’d like to put a low voltage alarm on my house panel (12v).

I have battery monitors and gauges, but really want something simple that makes a noise.

I need this to work only when I am on boat, for use on those rare occasions when I want to sleep in.

Any suggestions on products? Seems like there are two many choices when I google it.

John

Hey Easting,

I just want something to make a noise when my house bank gets low voltage after running the fridge and lights all night.

During the day I can do a visual check on the gauges, and I have a solar input so I don't fall behind too fast.

I'd like to put it right on the House panel main as it would only take 10 minutes to install.

John

The concept is fine , but you will get false alarms.

If a couple of items like the fridge and a bilge pump , or FW pump start at once , unless the batts and the cables are excellent , there may be enough voltage drop to trigger the alarm.

Thanks for the input guys the sad story that led to this will follow

If you have a Victron BMV-700 series battery monitor it has an alarm feature that activates a buzzer and also a relay that can control a louder, remote buzzer, or do other things.

+1 on the Victron suggestion. Installed one this year and it’s very good. Get the Bluetooth model. You won’t regret it.

-Jeremiah

If you have a Victron BMV-700 series battery monitor it has an alarm feature that activates a buzzer and also a relay that can control a louder, remote buzzer, or do other things.

I have a 702 and have wanted a louder buzzer since install 2 years ago.
Can you provide info on how this is done please?

My Garmin chartplotter has a feature in the Alarms section that I can set at what voltage to buzz when the condition is met. I have it set at 10.5 volts and it works well for the same reason that you are asking.

As I see it, and as stated previously, when a load is added to the battery such as the fridge turning on, voltage will drop. This does not necessarily reflect the state of charge however you will trigger an alarm. As an example my inverter will pull the voltage from 12.6 to the high elevens even though the battery bank is fully charged. When I turn the inverter off (coffee is made) the battery voltage recovers.

CruzPro's V55 voltmeter offers both high and low voltage alarms.

-Chris

As I see it, and as stated previously, when a load is added to the battery such as the fridge turning on, voltage will drop. This does not necessarily reflect the state of charge however you will trigger an alarm. As an example my inverter will pull the voltage from 12.6 to the high elevens even though the battery bank is fully charged. When I turn the inverter off (coffee is made) the battery voltage recovers.

I get the same
Victron told me to set the alarm at 11.5v

Occasionally I'll have that alarm trigger around 5am if all 3 fridge/freezers decide to start at same time even though batts are at 85%

Back
Top Bottom