Simple Autopilot ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sad that WOOD FREEMAN closed it's operation on APRIL 30th 2014 after 80 years!

They were reliable!!!

My old boats system consisted of a pump and a three position toggle switch, momentary contact, spring loaded return to center type.
The switch was located in a recess on the cockpit coaming, as well as a set of engine/transmission controls, as its primary use was to maneuver while fishing.
It was handy as a single handed docking aid, and though it had no "brain" to hold a course, was fine to hold a general direction in open water for a few minutes, depending on conditions.

Would like to converse more about the CPT. We have a 34' Albin, single engine. Much of our cruising is on rivers and do not need an AP. However, occasionally we cross large bays and even the Gulf of Mexico. We think maybe the CPT would serve our purposes, but would like to hear from some CPT owners.

After reading all the responses, I could argue strongly to get an AP that waserviceable and reliable. A company with good tech support and parts is a must, and a company that will be here. If one can't get service on the unit, it's virtually worthless.

I could also argue to call the company tech support and ask them about service on the AP being considered. (Heck, I do that for any electronics, and other components in a boat... and the reason I went with Garmin instead of Simrad).

FWIW, avionics (airplane stuff) is a different animal. And because of requirements and certification issues used autopilots in aircraft are almost worthless, except for parts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom