Show us your marine wristwatch.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the purpose of a marine wristwatch? What does it do that my phone does not?

BTW, I collect watches using the Valjoux 7750 caliber so I know watches.....

What is the purpose of a marine wristwatch? What does it do that my phone does not?

Well for one thing I don’t need to carry my phone.

A watch does not need to be charged at all. It also is on your wrist all the time where a phone is not always readily handy.

A watch does not need to be charged at all. It also is on your wrist all the time where a phone is not always readily handy.

I have the watch my wife got me when I got her a new diamond on our 25th. that was almost 25 yrs ago. Yes, part of the reason I wear it is sentimental.

I put a new battery in that watch every 5 to 8 years.

I charge my phone every night. If I miss a night, it doesn't last the second day.

No wrist watch; no jewelry. 40 years ago it was important to have a time piece that was easily accessible. Nowadays, everything has a computer and a clock built in. I would guess that I own atleast 10 times as many things that display time as I did 40 years ago. Finally, with the accuracy and auto correction of time on a cell phone or any device with built in GPS or cellular connection, why would you own a watch that doesn't automatically maintain accurate time?

Ted

I get that although my phone is always in my pocket just as my WW is always on my wrist. I have charging cables at both helms so battery life is not an issue. I wondered if it added anything safety or navigation wise?

Dive, aviation and motoring watches have different bezels that can be used to make calculations that could help one when using them. I’ve never heard of a marine watch before, but I’ll readily admit to not having followed horology for at least a decade.

Last edited:
The one way I resemble Jack Reacher is that I always know about what time it is.

But I could never trash that beautiful red Chevelle 396 Super Sport and calmly walk away.

In the middle of the night, when you sense the boat is shifting, it is easier to check your wristwatch for the time than to reach over and wake up your phone. "Oh, OK that's when the current shifts... back to sleep! (or hmm, maybe should get up and look around..)"

I have a pile of watches, wear one every day, but to this day, this was one of my favorites. Seiko orange. Had one in my 20's when I was actually a commercial diver, but somewhere in life I lost it. I bought a refurbished replacement about five years ago but the self-winding mechanism doesn't work. Unless I constantly swing my arm like I'm having a seizure it'll stop in about five minutes.
51110311_10155948044512091_1687366408624668672_o-683x1024.jpeg

Well, here is my marine wristwatch

Omega Planet Ocean.

Arguably one of the finest mechanical dive watches ever made. This one is my daily wearer. :blush:

Attachments

• 930911EB-F5EF-45D4-BB9C-3D790F5B54C7.jpg
    930911EB-F5EF-45D4-BB9C-3D790F5B54C7.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 38
Agreed, planet ocean is a great watch. Very sharp!
Well, here is my marine wristwatch

Omega Planet Ocean.

Arguably one of the finest mechanical dive watches ever made. This one is my daily wearer. :blush:

I used to wear a Seiko 5 for a daily. Now an Omega Seamaster. Thanks Dad! PXL_20200914_061441653.jpeg

I believe you can rebuild the seikos yourself for not a lot of money.
I have a pile of watches, wear one every day, but to this day, this was one of my favorites. Seiko orange. Had one in my 20's when I was actually a commercial diver, but somewhere in life I lost it. I bought a refurbished replacement about five years ago but the self-winding mechanism doesn't work. Unless I constantly swing my arm like I'm having a seizure it'll stop in about five minutes.
View attachment 107785

I have the watch my wife got me when I got her a new diamond on our 25th. that was almost 25 yrs ago. Yes, part of the reason I wear it is sentimental.

She got me a Breitling. Every other year it would stop running and require a $500 "service"..... It's got a special place in my dresser.

A technomarine chronograph and a D9 dive computer watch

Attachments

• 14803314-E54A-4854-9EE8-31D5B0C370D5.jpg
    14803314-E54A-4854-9EE8-31D5B0C370D5.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 33
80e42f10-a62b-4aee-9a83-bc8671b842b3_1.231d2a17b0e09d265395852cde98a877.jpeg

Casio Dive Watch. It keeps better time than my Rolex Submariner did, and when I lose it (like I did a few months ago) instead of panicking or calling my insurance company, I just go to Wal-Mart and laid out another $50.

I used to wear a Seiko 5 for a daily. Now an Omega Seamaster. Thanks Dad! View attachment 107790

I had this watch in two tone gold/ss. Very unique looking as two tone. It kept perfect time, felt sold, smooth and comfortable on my wrist.But the gold was too soft for me. I began wearing it only in "low risk" activities and finally decided to sell it for someone else to enjoy.

I was born in '58 and remember the TV show "Seahunt" starring Lloyd Bridges. My love for scuba diving and the ocean led to getting a Timex "diver's" watch for my 10th birthday and buying scuba gear at 14 when certification wasn't a law. That led to moving to the FL Keys at 20 and working on a dive boat as a first away from home dream job. The Captain was a retired jet fighter pilot, Vietnam era. He spoke military nautical terms and set the course of my life around boats.
Though I have a few other dress watches, my favorite will likely always be a diver's watch with turning bezel (which I use often) and a screw down crown.

Last edited:
Inexpensive Casio G-Shock of some sort, digital display, 2 time zones (I used to need that), day (I really need that now), date (not unuseful), a bunch of other stuff I've not really used much (timer, stopwatch, etc.)... submersible... and it updates itself daily with the atomic clock in Denver. Magic.

-Chris

She got me a Breitling. Every other year it would stop running and require a $500 "service"..... It's got a special place in my dresser.

I suppose I am lucky, as she didn't spend as much for my TAG as yours did, so my annual maint isn't as much as yours. I have had to replace seals twice (good to 200 meters), a tiny circuit board once, battery a few times, but so far, only one more x the original price, in 25 years.

80e42f10-a62b-4aee-9a83-bc8671b842b3_1.231d2a17b0e09d265395852cde98a877.jpeg

Casio Dive Watch. It keeps better time than my Rolex Submariner did, and when I lose it (like I did a few months ago) instead of panicking or calling my insurance company, I just go to Wal-Mart and laid out another $50.

My submariner has been the most rugged watch I have ever owned. The band never broke , nor did any other part of it that made the watch not function, which was a major reason I bought it in the first place. Previously I would lose watches at a a rate of about 2 a year from losing them at work, windsurfing, surfing, or whatever. I could not keep a watch from breaking previous to owning a submariner. And I never took it off so I never lost it.

Seiko Auto 5 classic auto wind.
I am pretty sure that is a collectors item and likely worth much more than what you paid for it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom