Old 01-17-2016, 01:53 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Shorepower Cord Supplier, Aust.

Thinking to replace mine and having trouble finding a supplier. Only one so far offering a complete fitted cord is Aquavolt in Roseville Sydney, for just under $400. Anyone know of another source?
There are US products, eg Marinco which would work, except the pedestal plug has to be cut off and replaced, which apart from doing violence to the cord renders the LED indicator feature useless.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:38 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I am using standard 15 A cords from Bunnings. I have 3 on board of various lengths and I use the shortest one that reaches at the time I dock. On the boat is a caravan 15 A male receptacle It has a weatherproof lid but is not really waterproof with a cord plugged in although the cover would prevent normal rain from entering. I just checked, Aquavolt have them but say they are not suitable for boats! The dock pedestals I've encountered to date in Qld are basic 'household' 15 A sockets. They usually have a cover which will keep rain out. Screw on connectors seem limited to 3-phase supply which I don't use.

I have a couple of Marinco 30 A cords also, with North America plug/socket ends. I still have an receptacle for them as well. But if I use that receptacle the rest of the wiring 'expects' it to be 120 VAC. So short of the violence Bruce refers to I can't see them being used any time soon.

Bruce, what type of socket do NSW marina dock pedestals have?
Old 01-17-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Brian, the standard socket at the dock is a standard 15A one.
Searching online I`m surprised no one but Aquavolt has leads on offer. Such a commonly used item I`d expected Whitworths (chandlery chain) to carry them, but no. Public liability concerns maybe, same as Sarca won`t supply the slot shackle they don`t make, and therefore won`t warrant.
You can buy the components but because it is 240v it needs to be electrician wired, (as I think Kurt Kupper of Aquavolt is, I bet he makes them up himself as required). I`ve rewired one or 2 plug ends on household leads, and have an electrical engineer in the family but he`s not a licensed electrician. In part it becomes a potential insurance issue(there`s the old lawyer caution surfacing), I`ll probably buy one from Aquavolt, and be sure. Just surprised no one else seems to sell them.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote