Shore Power Independence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK that's a Brady these and other power cats I know well enough.
I was going to build a Waller some years ago but opted out when I realised how good a sea boat I already had and didn't wish to go thru the pain of building again at my stage of life ,especially with all that epoxy.
One of my mates is in the mid build stages of his second cat in 5 years and I think he wishes he didn't sell the first one.

What engines did you fit , did you install a generator or go all solar and wind.
What engines are the mains?
A photo would be nice?
I have increased the number of solar panels on Tidahapah using lay flat flexible units, a bit expensive but very useable as they can be walked upon from first trials with my last trip they are a real bonus. I didn't use the really expensive Italian panels but the cheaper Chinese (same cells) units.

By the way where do you keep your boat, down the bay or elsewhere?

Cheers
Benn

Maribel, this Coot doesn't have a genset (so no need not turn it on to see if it works), but we don't brag about it.

Last edited:
Have vertical wind turbines been mentioned yet?

Vertical Axis Wind Turbines - Forgen 1000 | Forgen 500 | Micro Wind Turbines - Forgen Renewables

http://www.leturbines.com/products/le-v150-wind-turbine/

Been blowing 25 to 35 knots all day...kind of makes a guy think...

Vertical axis turbines are supposed to be quiet, good in gusty/variable direction conditions, can be mounted to the mast, and will trickle feed the batteries while we're ashore photographing all day. Teaming this up with a solar panel and a controller that won't over charge the batteries might be a good option.

Last edited:
I've wondered at times what might be involved with replacing the 'stock compressor/refrig guts' of a conventional household refrigerator with one of these modern Danfoss systems?....use the very nice 'box' of the modern household refrig with a more energy efficient compressor package? One might even add additional insulation to the outer surfaces of the 'house box' if there were some changes to the evaporator system made also (water cooled)?

Brian, if buying from new, probably not worthwhile, best buy a 12v frig with the Danfoss compressors built in. However, if like me you have well-insulated eutectic cooled or icebox type cabinets, where the eutectic system has died and too expensive to recondition or replace, then keeping the nicely insulated cabinets and converting to 12v with Danfoss powered units is indeed on, and I did this in our boat, and I am thrilled with how well it works and how power frugal it is. I used a Waeco Coldpack conversion.

Several years ago I did quite a bit of research into small wind including vertical axis. I really liked the idea of vertical axis for reasons mentioned. But:

I found the units to be heavier than horizontal axis and to be less efficient - especially at slower wind velocities.

All small wind generates much less at lower wind velocities than at rated (24 meter pet sec if I recall?). A 1.5kw unit may average about 400 watts at 1/2 rated wind velocity (recalling best I can w/o revisiting my research). This is for horizontal systems. Vertical axis ones would be still lower.

That being said, 400 watts is 400 watts 24/7 on average. One might expect this performance on the east coast US judging from wind charts.

I have drawn 1.5kw units mast mounted (folding for storms and low bridges - the 1.5kw units have blades about 9 feet in diameter. These are not those small ones you see hanging in the rigging of sail boats.

In addition, I came across several hybrid chargers/controllers that will take current from both solar and wind for battery charging. The ones I found seem to favor wind, allowing for more modest amounts of solar - certainly more modest than I have interest in.

If mixing the two, solar and wind, I don't see any issues with separate controller/chargers leading to the same bus as long as one can adjust the settings of each to where they will be comparable with one another. If charging a lithium battery, the n the BMS will either need to communicate with each controller or have automatic disconnects should any battery cell get out of spec.

I plan on adding wind on Sunshine once a few more immediate projects are completed.

As I mentioned, my wind research is a few years old - please correct/update me if any of you find my info a bit dated and incorrect.

I started out by mentioning that I already had a motoryacht that was basically shore power independent.

Basically, she’s a large motoryacht capable of housing two to six people in a very comfortable life style
To keep her properly powered when away from shore, she has a 20 kW Onan diesel generator capable of running all the electrical systems aboard. .
Pete37

I like your approach, and it is the one we use on our similarly sized all electric boat.

We have a 9 kw Northern Lights generator.

When we pull into a harbor besides our own, I do not even try to connect to their unknown quality shore power. The generator works fine, and you can barely hear it run.

I have found that people will go through allot of trouble and even great expense to keep from having or running a generator, often with limited success.

Last edited:
What engines did you fit Perkins 4236
did you install a generator or go all solar and wind. No to the genset and yes to the solar, but its not needed yet
What engines are the mains? above
A photo would be nice? It would be, but the shed it is in is far to tight to get anything but a wall of white
By the way where do you keep your boat, down the bay or elsewhere?
In the Hervey Bay area so unfortunately I only get to work on the boat when I have some time off as I am currently working in Brisbane.

With the requirement for 24KW a day load reduction on anything would be worth the effort.

I think a small Kubota or Yanmar running a 3KW boat voltage (12V -24V) alternator at variable speed for most of the daylight hours would be most cost effective.

A pair would need to be carried for reliability. Small and easy to get in a sound box , and the Truck reefer units have huge oil pans , to operate 24/7 , usually for 10 days or so.

A 4000W pure sine wave inverter could be paired IF the house AC load is really humongous. 8KW?

Domestic heat and hot water from co generation with the noisemaker cooling system and a battery bank that can handle overnight loads.

Air cond would require 24/7 .

An almost constant ON duty cycle is not harmful as these engines are built for the service.

While propane can do wonders cooking , heating and operating reefers , there is no propane air cond or water maker I can find , so a silent all weather cruiser at 24K a day cant be done yet.

For folks with more modest requirements its no big deal.

Last edited:
FF. I agree with most of your last post.

Small variable speed DC gensets are currently manufactured w/sound shields by a variety of companies. No need to start from scratch.

A typical 120VAC/30A shore power is just about 7kW. A pair of inverters can easily deliver the same power, both 120V and 240 V.

a single 8,000 BTU A/C uses about 600 watts. An 8 hour night needs 5kW hours (2 each 8Ds at 12v). With 4 8Ds, you'd have enough power to get through the nite silently.

Rather than add LPG to the mix , use induction cooking and high efficiency refrigeration.

Regarding your 24kW hour/day requirements: if small wind is added to a large solar array, then the small gensets could be run a minimal amount - some days not at all. To assert that a solar/wind combo is not possible is not correct - it is possible.

Small variable speed DC gensets are currently manufactured w/sound shields by a variety of companies.

No need to start from scratch.

A DIY DC charger could be 1/10 the cost of a store assembled unit , of interest to some?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom