Shore power cord

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vahevala

Vessel Name
Vahevala
Vessel Make
52’ Kristen Custom Flybridge Trawler
We are trying to replace the female connector on our 50 amp shore power cord. Have stripped the outer yellow casing and then each of the 4 casing around the interior wires. 3 of the 4 wires are black around the outside ring, and copper in the middle. Is this cord useable? Unsafe? Do we need to clean off the black, I assume oxidation? Or just toss the whole thing?

A42A3144-A12B-48E8-930F-592EC0C16792.jpg[/ATTACH]

I would strip back a little farther to see if you get to clean copper color.

Cut off 6 inches or so and see if the copper looks better there. Should be that nice reddish gold. If not, cut off another 6. By the time you get to good copper, there might not be much left. The corrosion can travel a long way up the cable. And keep in mind it's probably just as bad on the other end. I once found a fairly good looking cable abandoned in the grass in a boatyard. I plugged it in, no current at the other end. I tried cutting the ends off and found the hot conductor corroded to nothing as far back as I went, probably 6 feet on each end. I did what the original owner should have done, I threw it in the dumpster.

I would strip back a little farther to see if you get to clean copper color.

:iagree:

Don't stop stripping back until the copper wire is perfectly clean. Boat fires are ugly and you don't want to lay awake at night wondering if good enough, wasn't!

Ted

You can also try dipping the wire into an acid to remove the tiny surface oxidation.

If possible where the connectors go, the perfectly good 99% of the wires will handle the rated load for a few more years.

If the oxidation doesn't come off easily, then maybe it's time to move on.

I have seen people take a dremel tool with a wire wheel to wires like these. They were able to clean them up and reuse them.

Since we are looking at a wire designed to carry 50 amps we have to ask what is your safety threshold? I am much more comfortable being part of the cut it back until it’s good crowd than being part of the wire brush crowd.

On the other hand if you know your peak draw is only 30 amps and never 50 amps then I would be more comfortable cleaning and reusing. I know on my boat that it is not uncommon to see 48 amps for periods of up to an hour. So cleaning would be a no go for me.

I wouldn't trust a corroded junction on 30A or 50A the junction is the issue and 30A cords / plugs with corrosion can generate enough heat to self destruct.

If acid cleaning I'd be sure to neutralize and remove the acid... problem is acid can wick back under insulation and create a hidden problem again.
There is a reason acid core solder is not used on electrical connections.

Thanks all, we're going with new shore power cord. Noti taking chances on Vahevala!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom