Old 12-12-2022, 02:11 PM   #21

City: Green Cove Springs FL
Vessel Name: Shellerina.com
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I am considering an upgrade to Smart Plugs.
But this blog post shows the problem on the dock end... not on the boat end.
I believe the Smart Plugs only affect the boat's end of things. Correct?

In any case, here is how I solved my problem (without spending $100s on new cords):

https://shellerina.com/2022/11/11/shore-power-cord-fix/

It is tough to say exactly what the caused of the resistance which caused the heat / failure in this case. In this case it was on the dock end... but still... not a comforting thing to see.
Capt Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 02:23 PM   #22
Guru

City: Deltaville
It's worth noting, a high resistance scenario, which could come from a poor connection, pitted contacts, water intrusion or failure to fully engage connections, will not trip a circuit breaker.

The burned contact in this case is the neutral. That could be from one of the above causes, however, if the neutral fails entirely you end up with a "dropped neutral" which could be very dangerous, it often leads to fires.

To be on the safe side, you should call in an ABYC certified electrician to check the current flow on the neutral with a variety of loads on, but ultimately everything.
Old 12-12-2022, 02:55 PM   #23
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
Do yourself a favor and buy the smartplug. Marine How to site has a great article on the 1930's technology of your plug. After replacing three of the burned ends, I switched to the smartplug and after a year, I no longer have any issues. You don't need the whole cable and the boat side outlet matches up with the old outlet.
Thank you I did a little looking into it at first but I will again as the "new" connector cover is hard plastic with a thin rubber washer to keep water from creeping down the cable and into the connection. My old one had the heavy rubber cover which finally failed. I have no confidence that my new system is "waterproof".
Old 12-12-2022, 04:44 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turning Point View Post
Koliver,
I had an early 50amp Smart Plug fail. I hadn’t heard about issues. Is there information available on that?
Thx
I learned of issues when I called Smart Plug to get a replacement. My failure was at the boat end of the 30 amp cord. The original SP had an automatic reset feature, that was prone to failure and actually failed on mine. The next generation don't have that feature and have also lost its attendant failure rate.
I haven't heard of any failure prone 50 amp plug, but I don't have one, so why would they tell me.
They couriered a new SP to me, all at their expense.