Series Parallel Batteries + Solar Panel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
We have a 75W solar panel to connect to our four 6V lead acid house bank hooked up in series parallel. (I am a knuckle dragging slope foreheaded unibrowed lout around anything electrical).

Just double checking to see if this is right: the panels positive wire is attached to the first positive post on the first two batteries in series, then the panels negative wire is connected to the last negative post on the other two batteries, correct?

https://www.impactbattery.com/realblog/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Series2.jpg

Last edited:
There is a dividing line somewhere between being able to hook up a panel directly and needing a solar controller in between panel(s) and batteries. I've never had a system small enough to skip the controller, so not sure if it's appropriate for your 75 watt panel.

(Not quite what you asked, I realize, but something to consider?).

For my two paralleled batteries (you essentially have two paralleled batteries, each made up of "half a battery"), the positive of one battery goes to my positive bus bar, and then the negative from the other battery goes to the negative bus. This makes sure one battery isn't at the back of the line, so to speak. The positive and negative from the solar controller go to the bus bars.

Yes, that is correct.

There is a dividing line somewhere between being able to hook up a panel directly and needing a solar controller in between panel(s) and batteries. I've never had a system small enough to skip the controller, so not sure if it's appropriate for your 75 watt panel.

(Not quite what you asked, I realize, but something to consider?).

For my two paralleled batteries (you essentially have two paralleled batteries, each made up of "half a battery"), the positive of one battery goes to my positive bus bar, and then the negative from the other battery goes to the negative bus. This makes sure one battery isn't at the back of the line, so to speak. The positive and negative from the solar controller go to the bus bars.

Sorry, should have stated there is an MPPT controller attached to the panel, which is actually two rigid panels hinged together for portability between boat and trailer.

Back
Top Bottom