Semi-flexible solar panel install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When not shaded we have consistently seen 50 amps from the solar panels, they have cut our genset run time by an hour a day and mean our 780 ah house bank is at full charge by late afternoon in spite of running 3 fridges, a freezer , inverter etc. Better still if we lose shore power when away from the boat our solar panels keep the batteries charged and run the kitchen fridge.
50 amp output would mean your getting over 600 watts out of a 740 watt array. I have yet to hear of performance that good. Your daily KW hrs don't reflect that kind of output. Is the 50 amps a peak reading?

Our Kyocera 660 watt (mono) array has exceeded output by 10% on occasion. Granted we are in the tropics. I always wondered how strict the ratings were and if the "better companies" didn't overly rate them, as in lab perfect conditions. Glad we oversized the controller. On an note our super cheap (poly) 580 watt panels have never achieved full output under the same conditions.

I have the same panels as Hickers, Sunpower 345W. They have exceeded rated capacity (peak output) on 11 days during the last 12 months with a highest reading of 383W/panel. Maximum daily Ah achieved per panel was 152. i think they are quite amazing!

A quick search suggests Sunpower are only available through professional installers, not to the DIY market. That may be a reflection of product quality,leading to the results achieved. Under promise and over deliver is customer satisfaction.

I have the same panels as Hickers, Sunpower 345W. They have exceeded rated capacity (peak output) on 11 days during the last 12 months with a highest reading of 383W/panel. Maximum daily Ah achieved per panel was 152. i think they are quite amazing!

I see the same data on my 450 watt semi flexible array. My peak watt output on the Morningstar controller has read over 500 watts. I don't believe it. The amp output doesnt reflect it.

50 amps per hour from the panels is achieved for 3/4 hours at peak sun time. Total wattage reported on the app has peaked at over 700 which is more than their rated capacity. No reason to doubt the numbers as the bep battery monitor backs up the Victron app numbers. I would have been better off fitting a larger solar controller!!

I see the same data on my 450 watt semi flexible array. My peak watt output on the Morningstar controller has read over 500 watts. I don't believe it. The amp output doesnt reflect it.

Ah, I see! Not from MD, you're from Missouri!

When I recorded 2300 W (6 panels) I was getting 171.3 A.

50 amps per hour from the panels is achieved for 3/4 hours at peak sun time. Total wattage reported on the app has peaked at over 700 which is more than their rated capacity. No reason to doubt the numbers as the bep battery monitor backs up the Victron app numbers. I would have been better off fitting a larger solar controller!!
That's awesome performance. Good for you![emoji106]

It's a pity I only get this result in northerly winds, anything with south in it means my satellite dome and radar scanner manage to partially shade the panels [emoji853]

A couple of times, when current/winds/swell are relatively light, I have tied the anchor off at the stern just to get a 'northerly heading' at anchor and avoid shading issues similar to what you mention. Shading has a huge effect.

Last edited:
Given my sat dome struggles to work up here I should take it off but it would be just one more thing to store!!

Second panel failure. This panel is one I replaced in 2016. I now get 160 watts mid-day on the two remaining 150 watt panels. Must keeping everyone updated on this experiment.
I have been watching panel sales. It looks like these smaller 150 watt panels have disappeared. Maybe the power density was too much. The PET films also seem to be out of favor in the new panels. They use ETFE and EVA films. 0722191446e.jpg

Second panel failure. This panel is one I replaced in 2016. I now get 160 watts mid-day on the two remaining 150 watt panels. Must keeping everyone updated on this experiment.
I have been watching panel sales. It looks like these smaller 150 watt panels have disappeared. Maybe the power density was too much. The PET films also seem to be out of favor in the new panels. They use ETFE and EVA films. View attachment 91540

I have 10 Solara 140W flex panels on my deckhouse. 1.4kW total. They are glued right down to the substrate. I walk on them with soft shoes (dinghy access). I average 4000-5000Wh into the batteries on a good day. We use about 2200-2500Wh per day on average. House bank is 1600Ah @12V.

Going on 4 years now with no troubles - fingers crossed!

I have had two bad experiences with flexible panels:

Almost twenty years ago I bought three, Unisolar I think, flexible 35 watt panels for my boat's bimini top. They worked well for a year or so, then I used them for an RV for a year and then put them away for about 5 years. Then when I hooked them up again they were putting out less than half of the rated watts, adjusted for sun angle. These panels were noted on the internet forums as decreasing output rapidly with age.

Zoom forward to today when I helped a friend install two 175 watt flexible no name panels purchased from Amazon. They would only put out 150 watts combined at about 20 degrees off of vertical sun.

That performance wasn't really surprising once I saw those panels as they just weren't big enough to produce 175 watts rated output each.

No more flexible panels for me.

David

Last edited:
I have been watching panel sales. It looks like these smaller 150 watt panels have disappeared. Maybe the power density was too much. The PET films also seem to be out of favor in the new panels. They use ETFE and EVA films. View attachment 91540

Thanks for the update, Dave. I was recently wondering how the panels were working for you.

I am looking at 160 watt Renogy panels. They appear to be built like the $1000 German and Italian panels. The price is less than $300 for the Renogy. They are 7" longer so I would have to modify the Velcro lapels. The decision now is do I drop anothe "boat buck" to continue this experiment. Any info on Renogy experiences would be appreciated.

I installed 6 X 100 watt flexible panels in April 2018 with an MPPT charger. I met my canvas guy before install. He beefed up the Bimini and created some canvas/Velcro fasteners. I remove the panels and fold up the Bimini for our long dark winters here. So far everything is functioning great. I'm only the running the genset for hot water. I have 4 wet cell golf cart batteries for the house bank. They usually don't drop below 12.4 volts overnight. We will see how things hold up.

Attachments

• IMG_3495 (2).JPG
    IMG_3495 (2).JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 67
I am looking at 160 watt Renogy panels. They appear to be built like the $1000 German and Italian panels. The price is less than $300 for the Renogy. They are 7" longer so I would have to modify the Velcro lapels. The decision now is do I drop anothe "boat buck" to continue this experiment. Any info on Renogy experiences would be appreciated.

I have "hard" panels from Renogy and IMO they are very high quality. No issues whatsoever.

Ken

I installed 6 X 100 watt flexible panels in April 2018 with an MPPT charger. I met my canvas guy before install. He beefed up the Bimini and created some canvas/Velcro fasteners. I remove the panels and fold up the Bimini for our long dark winters here. So far everything is functioning great. I'm only the running the genset for hot water. I have 4 wet cell golf cart batteries for the house bank. They usually don't drop below 12.4 volts overnight. We will see how things hold up.

Those panels look a lot like ours. I have found that the panels have become brittle. If I were to remove mine I would have to be very careful. I had to replace a panel after about a year. When I removed the panel it was very stiff. I flexed it about 15 degrees and it began to crack.
Any change you could post pictures of your canvas attachment work?

Those panels look a lot like ours. I have found that the panels have become brittle. If I were to remove mine I would have to be very careful. I had to replace a panel after about a year. When I removed the panel it was very stiff. I flexed it about 15 degrees and it began to crack.

I’ll snap some pictures next time I’m at the boat.

I would be hesitant on buying any type of flexible panel. They are more expensive, less efficient and have a shorter lifespan in comparison to regular solar panels. The problem is'n't so much they are flexible but because they are almost always mounted without any air circulation underneath them. Without good air circulation the heat will kill them.

IMG_3620.jpgIMG_3622.jpg

Here’s a couple of pics.

Standby for more semi fexible solar fun. I just ordered three 160 watt Renogy panels. I had two out of four failure in four years with the original Chinese panels. The new panels are seven inches longer so the canvas will be modified. Maybe good money after bad but life's a learning experience. I keep providing updates.

Here is what the burnt panel looks like on the back. It also melted the plexiglass I had under it for support. This is a nice advertisement for Glowtech.1030190827.jpg

I would be hesitant on buying any type of flexible panel. They are more expensive, less efficient and have a shorter lifespan in comparison to regular solar panels. The problem is'n't so much they are flexible but because they are almost always mounted without any air circulation underneath them. Without good air circulation the heat will kill them.

Exactly well said

They can be installed with air circulation - then they should last long.
I installed the 3 New 160 watt Renogy panel. They appear more rigid and should not need a backing to prevent sagging, but I am going to put twin wall polycarbonate under them anyway. One reason is for some cooling. The other is for fire protection if a call fails like the old one did. If I did not have plexiglass under the old ones, the canvas may have caught fire.cpc-stes_1.jpeg

Wow! That was a close one, Dave! I hate it when that happens...

Thanks for being an early adopter of the flexible panels and keeping us updated throughout. It'll be interesting to compare the new ones against the old in performance.

Wow! That was a close one, Dave! I hate it when that happens...

Thanks for being an early adopter of the flexible panels and keeping us updated throughout. It'll be interesting to compare the new ones against the old in performance.
The day I installed the new panels it was really cloudy. The panels were putting out 109 watts. My hope is that I have a winner with these Renogy panels. I believe my old panels were made of reject Sunpower 5x5 cells, 60 of them. The new panels are Renogy 6x6 cells and only 36 cells. Renogy had an issue in the early days with panels melting. They have adjusted and corrected that issue. My first panels cost $900. These panels were $780. In boat bucks terms it's worth the experiment. The science project continues. I will post pictures Monday.

A few shots of the new panels. They fit great. These panels are stiffer than the old ones. Waiting for a nice day to check output. The panels were subjected to 40 mph sustained and 60 mph this week. They didn't move.View attachment 960661104191236c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom