Semi-flexible solar panel install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, koliver. I've been on their website and not seeing panels that fit our requirements, but planning to call them. Good to hear you had a good experience with them.

Yes Ron, Wego solar in Chemanius is where I bought my equipment. I put Keith on to them as well.
Definitely buy a good quality controller, and if you want the absolute best, a separate controller for each panel. That will optimize the output from 2 or more panels.
Good luck.
Tom

Thanks Tom.
I'm definitely looking for quality equipment, given the small area I have to work with. I need to make the most efficient use of space for sure.
Can you guys tell me which panels and controllers you bought? I've been leaning toward Victron for MPPT controller and Battery Monitor System, but Wego doesn't list them on their site.

Thanks Tom.
I'm definitely looking for quality equipment, given the small area I have to work with. I need to make the most efficient use of space for sure.
Can you guys tell me which panels and controllers you bought? I've been leaning toward Victron for MPPT controller and Battery Monitor System, but Wego doesn't list them on their site.

This: HES-160-36PV Solar Panel 160 watt, a pair, and this: SS-20L SunSaver 20A 12VDC PWM Solar Controller with Low Voltage Disconnect - We Go Solar Canada

search previous threads for pictures of my installation.

Hi Ron,
On Pilitak I used 2 Stark Energy (don't see them listed at Wego now) 285 watt mono cell panels with a (one) Morningstar Tristar 45 amp MPPT controller. I strongly recommend the MPPT over the PWM. With MPPT, any "excess voltage" is converted to usable amps effectively increasing charging under some conditions.

On my sailboat (former boat) I had 2 smaller panels (about 120 watts each) and each panel had a separate MPPT controller like the Sunsaver 15 amp MPPT controller to greatly reduce any loss due to partial shading. To save money on the controller(s) you can go with one larger amperage controller (again I recommend MPPT) and put the 2 panels in parallel (if shading is expected) or in series (if shading is minimal). When wiring in series, you can use lighter wiring as the amperage is kept low from the panels to the controller where the MPPT works it's magic. As with most things, pros and cons. No one I know of has said they used too big of panels. Get the largest capacity that will reasonably fit.
If you really want a different brand, for local stores, you might try Aztec Off the Grid in Nanaimo, but it appears they carry similar brands to Wego.

Morningstar is a well known, well respected manufacturer of quality solar products as are Outback, and also MidNite Solar.

If you are interested, PM a message and include your email and I can send you some photos of my system.
Hope this helps.

Dave, I decided to bite the bullet and order my solar components from Renogy. Initially, I'll be installing two rigid 100W panels on the port forward rail on a wing-style rail mount controlled with a 40W MPPT controller capable of handling another 200W of panels on the stbd side if/when needed.

The parts are dribbling in this week and I'll start the install after the July 4th holiday. Many thanks to you and others on this thread for helping me discern what might be the best fit and function for my ark.

I look forward to quiet power generation at peaceful anchorages! Cheers and Thanks from FlyWright!!

Last edited:
Dave, I decided to bite the bullet and order my solar components from Renogy. Initially, I'll be installing two rigid 100W panels on the port forward rail on a wing-style rail mount controlled with a 40W MPPT controller capable of handling another 200W of panels on the stbd side if/when needed.

The parts are dribbling in this week and I'll start the install after the July 4th holiday. Many thanks to you and others on this thread for helping me discern what might be the best fit and function for my ark.

I look forward to quiet power generation at peaceful anchorages! Cheers and Thanks from FlyWright!!
Enjoy the install. I think solid panels are the way to go if you can. I just pulled my panels off to seal between the panels. Water was getting under them and pooling. Good news is the panels are still like new. Very flexible still.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom