Screen clutter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
I'm planning an electronics upgrade and looking hard at the Furuno TZTouch2 for one and possibly both helms on my Defever 44. Also considering Furuno's new Doppler radar (that distinguishes vessels underway) and planning to install a Vesper AIS. I'm curious about the interplay between radar and AIS icons that show other vessels' headings on the MFD and how others deal with screen clutter, short of buying two MFDs for each helm. Do you get two returns for every mobile target? Do you switch back and forth between AIS and radar inputs? Split screen? I was impressed with the TZTouch2 I saw last month on a fishing boat, but didn't think to ask the pilot about this :banghead:. Lastly, do the mirroring functions on these newer MFDs, allowing wireless emulation on an iPad, work or are they gimmicks?

Thanks!

Have 2 screens on both boats. I prefer a stand alone screen when running radar at night.

Ted

I have two plotters and two radars, but, seldom use radar. I seldom sail at night and foggy conditions just aren't that frequent. I find AIS is most helpful because it gives me the targets name so that hailing becomes easier. Calling another ship by its coordinates, I have learned, seldom generates a response. I always get an answer when hailing by name.

When both AIS and radar are displayed, I will get a return for both. AIS is displayed as a triangle and radar, a blip.

When using radar, I typically use an overlay over the chart. AIS is displayed as well on the radar screen, this on a raymarine and garmin unit.

Gordon

Back
Top Bottom