Old 06-16-2018, 06:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Dana Point, Ca
Vessel Name: Adventure
Vessel Model: Offshore 62
Satelite phone

Hello guys and girls,

I am looking to purchase a hand held satellite phone for my boat. The boat is in Fort Lauderdale and I will be driving it by Cuba, to the Mexican mainland and ultimately through the Panama Canal. I also will be taking it on a very remote trip to Alaska in a couple of weeks. I am zeroing in on the Iridium. My understanding it has better reception than the competitors.

I do not plan to use a ton of minutes. I plan to use it for emergencies and periodic check ins at home and work.

I am surprised by the cost of the minute plans. They are very expensive. Where have you found the best deals on phones and phone plans to be? Thanks in advance!
Freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #2

Would a text only satellite messenger like the new Spot X or Garmin Inreach work for you?
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:12 AM   #3
Guru

The Iridium cost per minute decreases significantly as you purchase more minutes. When we cruised the Bahamas several years back I bought 120 minutes, good for one year (some packages time out in 30 days) Approx 6 months later with 6 months and many minutes left on the sat chip, I sold it for a good price on Ebay. Worked out more economical than buying a smaller chip and provided more minutes in the event we needed to use them. Suggest you go big!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote