Sacrificial anode - what to expect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lou,
I don't know what the wastage rate SHOULD be in fresh water. but even so for a two year old anode I would expect more wastage than your photos show.

Get rid of the ZINC anode.

Carefully check the connection between the metals and the anodes. You may have to file a shiny patch on each anode and sand a clean patch on the metals that anodes are attached to to get a good DMM lead contact.

Test those anodes for continuity of no more than 1 ohm, better less. If continuity is poor the anodes cannot do their job meaning the metals they are meant to protect are not being protected.

I learned a long time ago that there is a problem if there is NO WASTAGE. That should be a red flag.

Yours do not look right for 2 years. There is no wastage apparent and I think there should be some. Maybe not a lot but some.

Find out if there is continuity.

When I mount my anodes I sand both mounting surfaces, that of the anode and that of the metal it is mounted to.

Last edited:
Lou,
I don't know what the wastage rate SHOULD be in fresh water. but even so for a two year old anode I would expect more wastage than your photos show.

Get rid of the ZINC anode.

Carefully check the connection between the metals and the anodes. You may have to file a shiny patch on each anode and sand a clean patch on the metals that anodes are attached to to get a good DMM lead contact.

Test those anodes for continuity of no more than 1 ohm, better less. If continuity is poor the anodes cannot do their job meaning the metals they are meant to protect are not being protected.

I learned a long time ago that there is a problem if there is NO WASTAGE. That should be a red flag.

Yours do not look right for 2 years. There is no wastage apparent and I think there should be some. Maybe not a lot but some.

Find out if there is continuity.

When I mount my anodes I sand both mounting surfaces, that of the anode and that of the metal it is mounted to.

Thank you C lectric. A little correction, the magnesium anodes are 1 season old (around 5 months).

L

Back
Top Bottom