Old 03-02-2020, 09:56 AM   #41
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief Managed View Post
The excess flow drain does not need to happen. Won't hurt the pump at all to just throttle the flow with 3 valves on the three A/C lines. It will use less electricity, produce less heat, and last longer if you throttle the flow. Centrifugal pumps operate with better efficiency when they have some pressure head and are not at max flow.
Agreed. I also wouldn't throttle the total flow any more than necessary. If one unit needs throttling to keep it from hogging all of the water, then that should be done. But otherwise, it's unlikely that there will be enough flow through the units to cause a problem. And for the most part, they'll work better with more flow when in very warm water (or for heating, they'll be able to work in colder water before it starts to freeze in the unit).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #42
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
This is likely a Rube Goldberg winner.

The only case where this would make sense is if you have all of the valves closed, except for one unit. And, that unit's water path is so narrow at some point along the way as compared to the pump size that the pump can't move enough water to cool itself. In this case, one would need to have a path to relieve that situation, allowing the pump to move enough water to cool itself.

If you've got an extra above water thru-hull, I guess it can't hurt to plumb it that way. But, if not, I'd want to see the math that justifies putting another hole in the hull before I'd do that. Or, I'd set it up with that valve capped off, close all of the valves except the smallest unit, run it full on, and measure the temperature at the pump until it leveled off. If it wasn't getting to hot -- I wouldn't add the extra flow just to cool it.

With the valves open, unless he is adding electronic valves, even if the units aren't running, the water will be circulating, so this could only be a problem with valves closed.

If it is a problem without valves closed -- get a smaller pump. But, I can't imagine that.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote