Rv park 30A Plug to Boat twin 30 Plugs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rusty Rudder

I have searched the forum in "electrical" and found many situations that do not apply to my question, in an attempt to answer my own question. I see many, many scenarios and configurations of power set ups, however, not the one I am looking for.

Trailer able trawler with 2 - 30 amp plugs goes into a campground with one 30amp Rv outlet. Boat owner wants to plug into Rv park pedestal for some limited power usage, lights and phone charging, NOT RUNNING ANYTHING WATER COOLED.

Sifted through the menagerie of electrical gender change plug adaptors and still confused....

I would plug my splitter (50a male x 2- 30a to boat cords) then plug 50 a twist into the converter linked below, (50a female x 30a Rv pedestal plug)

Below is an example conversion from Rv park plug to boat, any input as to whether this will work? If not, do you have suggestions?

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.co...-amp-male-to-50-amp-female-twist-lock-adapter

TIA

Is yours a 50A 125V or a 50A 125/250V connector?

Not sure depending on how the boat panel(s) are wired. If the 30-50 adapter splits the 30A to both legs of the 50-2X30 adapter then it should work if your panel has 2 30A main breakers. Before you believe me, would like a second opinion.

Its bad/dangerous to try to plug into the old style 3 hole dryer/range outlets found in peoples homes that are 240 (2 120 legs) and only a ground or neutral. That one I know for sure. Just confirm the power post is a 3 hole hot/neutral/ground 30A 125V.

Realky depends on how your shore powet

Attachments

• 6A57BCA2-47C7-48D9-8B05-20EA0AEFC0E2.jpg
    6A57BCA2-47C7-48D9-8B05-20EA0AEFC0E2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 13
Got it, I will verify the 30A is not 240v like the old dryer plug. 30a @ 125v looks like what I should be plugging into... Thank you folks, very helpful !

I have searched the forum in "electrical" and found many situations that do not apply to my question, in an attempt to answer my own question. I see many, many scenarios and configurations of power set ups, however, not the one I am looking for.

Trailer able trawler with 2 - 30 amp plugs goes into a campground with one 30amp Rv outlet. Boat owner wants to plug into Rv park pedestal for some limited power usage, lights and phone charging, NOT RUNNING ANYTHING WATER COOLED.

Sifted through the menagerie of electrical gender change plug adaptors and still confused....

I would plug my splitter (50a male x 2- 30a to boat cords) then plug 50 a twist into the converter linked below, (50a female x 30a Rv pedestal plug)

Below is an example conversion from Rv park plug to boat, any input as to whether this will work? If not, do you have suggestions?

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.co...-amp-male-to-50-amp-female-twist-lock-adapter

TIA

It is unclear if the adapter is 50a 125/250v or 50a 125v. If the first then you will be able to get power to the boat. If the second then it won’t work.

You will not be able to operate any 240v appliances but that does not sound like an issue.

I took a second look at the adapter, looks like a 125/250V 50A adapter as it has the metal ground on the outside of the plug.

I understand you have a 30A RV outlet that you want to split into two 30A 120V marine outlets that you can then plug into two corresponding marine inlets on your boat. Correct?

The key questions is whether the RV outlet is 120V or 240V or 120/240V. I'm not familiar with them personally, but if the picture posted by Larry M is correct, it's 30A 120V.

If this is all correct, then I'd buy this 30A 120V to two 30A 120V splitter

https://marinco.com/en/p/157AY/Y-Adapter-30A-125V-Male-To-2-30A-125V

Then cut off the male end and replace it with an RV 30A 120V plug. Maybe the resulting adapter is available pre-made, but I'm guessing not since it's crossing between RV and marine standards, and splitting at the same time.

Actually, I just found this https://www.camco.net/camco-30a-30a-rv-locking-powergrip-adapter-55642. It will plug into a 30A 120V RV outlet and then you can plug the above splitter into it. This would be great if you already have the above splitter.

Back
Top Bottom