RV ac advice sought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stick with Dometic - quieter than a Coleman. I get mine from Camping World who always seem to have the best price.

Update. 17 September 2021. A reader was able to find a 15k btu Penguin II with a heat pump available at Camping World. I had checked there previously when they had none in stock with the heat pump. The price went up $100 in the interim.

With the inside controls part in case you're curious totaled $1700, with "free" shipping and a 10% discount. I was and am grateful. I am ever so thankful for the advice re my ac predicament. There is a big sense of relief at getting this found in stock, and ordered.

As far as the generator situation, I did learn that Honda gennys use (on average, at 50% draw) approximately .75 gallons per hour. The NextGen3.5 only requires. 2gph. That's a large difference especially for a boat without a great deal of tankage. Seaweed carries 35 in one tank and 37 in the other, so 72 in total.The extra half gallon per hour is simply too much.

At least that's the way I am leaning, today!

Once again, thanks so much for the helpful advice. You came through for me. I didn't know there was such a thing as a heat pump, and pretty soon I'll have one. Life is very good.

Seaweed's beauty is in her large windows. That creates a greenhouse effect. It can get miserable hot in here, especially at a dock. Going over to an rv unit means admitting to myself that while docked I can just plug in.

At anchor with my sun shades up, and the breezes along with fans I have been okay except in the hottest muggy days.

You might be able to mitigate the greenhouse thing a bit more, Janice.

I've been reading about ceramic tints, applied to the inside of your windows. Various tint (screen) percentages are available, and ideally you can look at samples to select the right combination or heat reduction and remaining light. Dunno costs or anything, but folks in another forum (one especially complimentary, in the Punta Gorda area) have been very satisfied with theirs.

Products I've seen recommended are 3M Ceramic IR, SunTek CIR, and then also Huper Optik (apparently more expensive). No first-hand experience with any.

And then you might even revisit your existing sun shades, depending on how they work. We had a snap-on mesh cover over our previous front "windshield" -- I think ours was a 90% mesh, so we could still see out -- that we used mostly in July and August around here to cut the heat radiating from that area...

-Chris

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom