Rogue Wave wifi extender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I am looking at wifi extenders for my boat, anyone use the Rogue Wave WiFi extender, happy with it? Any other recommendations at $500 or less.

I use one, but it doesn't make a huge range difference. You get a better signal and less drop offs, especially in big seas.
Wifi is line of sight so the higher the shore and boat antenna, the higher the range, in theory. But wifi doesn't go over or around mountains. I get my best range where the cell tower is on a high bluff. A usual trip for me is Astoria via inside passages to Alaska. I consistently get coverage at 25 nm if there isn't something big blocking the signal. When traveling, I use Verizon in the US and Canada and as long as I'm in the 25 nm range of a clear tower, I have wifi. Maximum range I achieved was about 35 nm.

I use one, but it doesn't make a huge range difference. You get a better signal and less drop offs, especially in big seas.
Wifi is line of sight so the higher the shore and boat antenna, the higher the range, in theory. But wifi doesn't go over or around mountains. I get my best range where the cell tower is on a high bluff. A usual trip for me is Astoria via inside passages to Alaska. I consistently get coverage at 25 nm if there isn't something big blocking the signal. When traveling, I use Verizon in the US and Canada and as long as I'm in the 25 nm range of a clear tower, I have wifi. Maximum range I achieved was about 35 nm.

What does a cell tower have to do with WiFi?

I have the rogue dual band. it is connected to a wifi router down in the boat. It works without that but bogs down under heavy load with multiple users.

Now I get better coverage in cabins then I would have up on the flybridge. usable range is probably 3/4 mile. If you have xfinity or another service that lets you connect to "public" sites it really works well at anchorage because anybody within a 1/2 mile or so with that setup is available.

Back
Top Bottom