Old 11-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #21
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Hey, I'm 2 or 3 generations behind, but still can't find a reason to upgrade. Yeah, the MFDs are nice, but with my two 10" vertically oriented screens and a 72 mile radar it all works for me. Yeah, I can split the screens, but why? The radar will overlay the chart, depth and speed is displayed in boxes where I want them. When fishing the HD bottom module puts me on the fish. It's good to have the ability to put any on either screen. Two charts at different scales is a really nice feature.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG0104.jpg  
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #22
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Hey, I'm 2 or 3 generations behind, but still can't find a reason to upgrade. Yeah, the MFDs are nice, but with my two 10" vertically oriented screens and a 72 mile radar it all works for me. Yeah, I can split the screens, but why? The radar will overlay the chart, depth and speed is displayed in boxes where I want them. When fishing the HD bottom module puts me on the fish. It's good to have the ability to put any on either screen. Two charts at different scales is a really nice feature.
other than being slow compared to todays systems..those Ray displays and the way they were oriented and showed what you needed were just fine in all the thousands of miles I cruised with them factory and personally delivering early 2000's Sea rays
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
What is the deal with chart plotters going with the widescreen format versus a regular ole square??? I have a tendency to want to know what is in front of me...and less so beside me. And that is what is sacrificed on these units(assuming track up which is the way I roll....don't try to convince me otherwise... ) What is the purpose???...or is there one???? I see no redeeming value in having more real estate to the side and less out front???
I agree John, and was not sorry my now superseded Lowrance GPS/Sonar combo has a portrait shaped screen, rather than landscape/widescreen, (which later models now have), which I love, as I like track up function as well. For upstairs I just use the iPad/Navionics, and that turns the screen like an iPhone anyway you want. I like landscape for planning, and portrait for actual track up navigating.
Then, when at anchor, I have my books on it for reading, and once again, landscape is the way to go. I love it.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #24
Guru

Don (Moonstruck) you are correct, no reason to change. You have the HSB2 software which is a big improvement to the ver 1 I had but I think the display orientation is superior to the wide screen produced by most manufactures today.

I sold my RL80C plotter and radar and replaced with current gen Ray equipment. The current plotter is faster but no better in any other aspect. The digital radar is better but not so much that knowing what I know now would have convinced me to upgrade.

I have as mentioned current gen ray equipment and a current gen 7" garmin touchscreen. I use the garmin for nav and the ray for radar. I really don't like the ray for navigation and much prefer the Garmin even though the ray has a bigger screen.

I think Don would be disappointed in the new gen stuff, so keep the money for fuel and booze, better- booze and fuel.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Don (Moonstruck) you are correct, no reason to change. You have the HSB2 software which is a big improvement to the ver 1 I had but I think the display orientation is superior to the wide screen produced by most manufactures today.

I sold my RL80C plotter and radar and replaced with current gen Ray equipment. The current plotter is faster but no better in any other aspect. The digital radar is better but not so much that knowing what I know now would have convinced me to upgrade.

I have as mentioned current gen ray equipment and a current gen 7" garmin touchscreen. I use the garmin for nav and the ray for radar. I really don't like the ray for navigation and much prefer the Garmin even though the ray has a bigger screen.

I think Don would be disappointed in the new gen stuff, so keep the money for fuel and booze, better- booze and fuel.
I agree with everything except...I think I'm liking the touchscreen/hybrid on my new raymarine...I'll know in 2 months after a couple of weeks of travelling
Old 11-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I agree with everything except...I think I'm liking the touchscreen/hybrid on my new raymarine...I'll know in 2 months after a couple of weeks of travelling
You will like the touchscreen and ray does allow you to use buttons if you prefer that.

My beef with ray is mostly software related.
50 waypt max when creating a route
No way to display time or dist to destination on the main screen when navigating a route.
Garmin software seems more intuitive to me.
Ray's PC software doesn't hold a candle to Garmins.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
You will like the touchscreen and ray does allow you to use buttons if you prefer that.

My beef with ray is mostly software related.
50 waypt max when creating a route
No way to display time or dist to destination on the main screen when navigating a route.
Garmin software seems more intuitive to me.
Ray's PC software doesn't hold a candle to Garmins.
I'll mainly use it as backup and primary radar till I buy a transducer and also have depth.

No chartplotter I ever used has held a candle to OpenCPN on a laptop for interior use and strictly chart plotting (having worked for a marine electronics place and stay in touch)...plus being a delivery capt...I can't think of too many I haven't played with)...can't wait to start using it on a touchscreen tablet/laptop.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #28
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I have an RL70c that I really thought I was going to be able to be okay with. A seven inch screen in portrait orientation. BUT, it was so extremely slow while redrawing the maps(ie zooming) there was no way I could do it. So I got the little G740. I didn't necessarily care for the touchscreen or the sounder part....BUT, I like the touchscreen a LOT more an I thought I would. It makes many tasks a lot easier and quicker!!!

Also, I had a Furuno sounder and I have learned that I can get an adapter and use the transducer so I will delete the Furuno sounder from my panel and use the sounder on the Garmin.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Also, I had a Furuno sounder and I have learned that I can get an adapter and use the transducer so I will delete the Furuno sounder from my panel and use the sounder on the Garmin.
John, I have a ray depth transducer that came with the boat. I was able to port the info from the transducer to both my new Ray MFD and my Garmin 740 via NMEA 0183 and Sea Talk. Since I use my Garmin for navigation having depth there is a big plus.

Incidentally I found my G740. I misplaced it in my wife's car thinking it was in my car. Fortunately I had not reported it stolen yet.

We splash Friday with the new reman engine.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:

Capt. Tim,

If you have posted updates to your engine saga, I have missed them. Bummer! Sounds like you took good care of the problem. Hope you are back in business so to speak. Are you planning to go back to the Abacos? I am looking at a trip in May. It would be nice to meet up for a little cruising over there.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #31
Guru

Don,
I will start a thread on my engine saga after I have finished with my insurance company.

We are planning a cruise in May but probably down to Key West via the Okeechobee waterway. Perhaps we can arrange dinner together at the Sailors Return restaurant at Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart. The admiral loves that place.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Don,
I will start a thread on my engine saga after I have finished with my insurance company.

We are planning a cruise in May but probably down to Key West via the Okeechobee waterway. Perhaps we can arrange dinner together at the Sailors Return restaurant at Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart. The admiral loves that place.
We also like Sailors Return. It's right by the river walk, and Troy can be on the patio with us. Great place. Hope we can meet up.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #33

Quote:
John, I have a ray depth transducer that came with the boat. I was able to port the info from the transducer to both my new Ray MFD and my Garmin 740 via NMEA 0183 and Sea Talk. Since I use my Garmin for navigation having depth there is a big plus.

Incidentally I found my G740. I misplaced it in my wife's car thinking it was in my car. Fortunately I had not reported it stolen yet.

WoooHooooo!!! Glad you found your G740!!! Not sure I have ever heard of someone misplacing a chartplotter!!!... Yeah, I was thinking the same thing ref having depth on the screen you are already looking at. Just waiting or the part to port it to the unit. I am probably gonna get the AIS receiver as well.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #34
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Elected to have a separate, large-font depth gauge display rather than rely on the small font on my chart plotter. Shallow water is too common around here.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
I am probably gonna get the AIS receiver as well.
I replaced the original VHF that came with the boat with a Standard Horizon VHF that included a AIS receiver. I connected it to my Garmin 740 and the AIS worked well except I found it difficult to see the AIS targets on the plotter. Even when I zoomed in the AIS targets remained the same size. Anyway I don't know if this is a function of the AIS receiver or the plotter, however I did note the AIS targets were the same size on both the Garmin and Ray plotters.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #36

Quote:
I replaced the original VHF that came with the boat with a Standard Horizon VHF that included a AIS receiver. I connected it to my Garmin 740 and the AIS worked well except I found it difficult to see the AIS targets on the plotter. Even when I zoomed in the AIS targets remained the same size. Anyway I don't know if this is a function of the AIS receiver or the plotter, however I did note the AIS targets were the same size on both the Garmin and Ray plotters.
Thanks for the heads up. Maybe it is a function of the AIS receiver in your radio that is causing that? Maybe I will just get the Garmin 300 receiver and see how that works.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Old 11-08-2013, 05:07 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. Maybe it is a function of the AIS receiver in your radio that is causing that? Maybe I will just get the Garmin 300 receiver and see how that works.
At $500 you are paying a premium for just a AIS receiver. I would want to make sure I was happy with the display before pulling the trigger on that unit when AIS receivers incorporated in VHF radios are a bit cheaper.

My Standard Horizon VHF/AIS also has DSC though I have never used it. Another feature of the VHF is an alarm you can set to warn you when an AIS target intrudes within a user set-able radius.

That being said, if AIS targets are easier to see with the Garmin unit and you plow the Houston ship channel frequently ......
Old 11-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #38

Quote:
At $500 you are paying a premium for just a AIS receiver. I would want to make sure I was happy with the display before pulling the trigger on that unit when AIS receivers incorporated in VHF radios are a bit cheaper.

My Standard Horizon VHF/AIS also has DSC though I have never used it. Another feature of the VHF is an alarm you can set to warn you when an AIS target intrudes within a user set-able radius.

That being said, if AIS targets are easier to see with the Garmin unit and you plow the Houston ship channel frequently ......
Can you take a screenshot to give me an idea of what you are talking about?...or at least a pic with your phone? Maybe I will search youtube. Anyway, I was reading somewhere that you can touch an AIS target and a call box comes up...and then you can touch "call" and it SELCALs the target?...assuming you have it set up right?
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Old 11-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Can you take a screenshot to give me an idea of what you are talking about?...or at least a pic with your phone? Maybe I will search youtube. Anyway, I was reading somewhere that you can touch an AIS target and a call box comes up...and then you can touch "call" and it SELCALs the target?...assuming you have it set up right?
Will do John, but it will be a week or so before I can get to it.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #40
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
I also have the SH 2150; it feeds my Raymarine MFD units. When I put the MFD cursor onto an AIS target, a databox comes up with basic info on the target (MMSI, name, course, speed, CPA, time of CPA). Clicking on the databox brings up an expanded window with additional target info.

Eventually, we'll pull the trigger on a Class B transceiver; but for now, the Standard Horizon works perfectly.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote