Reuilt my windlass motor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Rebuilt my windlass motor with wider improved brushes

Motor was made by Briggs & Stratton.
The winch is kind of unusual, the motor is DC, but runs off rectified 120vac.
So it runs off 90 vdc power. No need for huge wires, large current flow, huge DC motor, or a windlass battery. The motor is a modified Briggs small engine starter motor.
The armature is wired differently than a starter motor, being made for higher volatges but uses similar components, PMDC motor design.
I just dont get why they do not make AC powered ones for our kind of boats.

It is a very powerful windless, but all it has is the rope drum. It has very easily pulled the anchor line for years, regardless of how stuck, it will pull without stalling. Has an whole lot of gear reduction and an overrunning one way clutch.

I have the thread over here, had fixed it couple years ago, but it needed new brushes then and I repaired the old brush wires..
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...fy-this-briggs-straton-electric-motor.112698/

link to the video of it now working again
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nbAezKxN7zKM5Bsp9

this windlass winch is likely from the mid to late 1970's, it has a horizontal drum.

Attachments

• 20180710_063434.jpg
    20180710_063434.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20180710_063447.jpg
    20180710_063447.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20180710_063456.jpg
    20180710_063456.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Good repair.

I had to do similar on an old windlass. My old brushes were literally shot.

I contacted a motor and electric tool repair place. In my area it was Armature Electric in Vancouver. I sent one brush to them and they figured out which compound to use. They made new brushes to my spec.

They were made a bit long deliberately so all I had to do was carefully trim them to length. Motor ran very well untill I moved up to a larger windlass.

Good repair.

I had to do similar on an old windlass. My old brushes were literally shot.

I contacted a motor and electric tool repair place. In my area it was Armature Electric in Vancouver. I sent one brush to them and they figured out which compound to use. They made new brushes to my spec.

They were made a bit long deliberately so all I had to do was carefully trim them to length. Motor ran very well untill I moved up to a larger windlass.

Thanks, I was uncertain the modified brushes would work till it actually ran ok. It has almost no sparking, actually none that I can see except for when run the first time, so is well commutated. And hopefully will last a long time.

I used the kit made for Briggs starter motors, and the bushings also were the same, just a different brush design. I bought 2 kits, total cost then $15.

This kit has longer leads by about 1/2 " so is better to work with.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Starte...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Some recent car starters are about the same size as this and also use lots of gearing down using similar PMDC motors.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom