Old 02-01-2023, 05:48 AM   #1
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Refrigeration at anchor and underway

So I am looking at this summit fridge.

https://s1.img-b.com/build.com/media...xMzAwNTZjZjUx~

My boat is not a power hungry boat. I have one set of 2 12v batteries that run the start and house. No solar (yet), no on board generator, we do have a Yamaha inverter generator 1000 watt.

My goal is to run this fridge while underway and at anchor.

If I powered an inverter from my current batteries would my alternator keep my batteries charged enough to keep the fridge running while underway?

What would you recommend for at anchor? I'm thinking a seperate house bank dedicated to powering the inverter for a fridge and outlet for electronics charging.

How much battery would I need to run say 24 hrs, what should I look for in an inverter with out busting the bank$$.

Currently we just have 110 old dorm fridge that we only run on shore power. Schlepping the coolers around is getting old and is one of the things my girlfriend requested we address this year and I agree.

Hope I explained my wants and needs clearly.

Thanks.
CharlieO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:01 AM   #2
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieO. View Post
My boat is not a power hungry boat. I have one set of 2 12v batteries that run the start and house.

My goal is to run this fridge while underway and at anchor.

If I powered an inverter from my current batteries would my alternator keep my batteries charged enough to keep the fridge running while underway?

What would you recommend for at anchor? I'm thinking a seperate house bank dedicated to powering the inverter for a fridge and outlet for electronics charging.

How much battery would I need to run say 24 hrs, what should I look for in an inverter with out busting the bank$$.

I'd guess an easy/fast solution would be to install another battery bank and an inverter to do nothing but service the new fridge. I suspect the self-defrosting feature increases your battery need.

So alternators might work for underway, depending on your current battery capacity, but wouldn't be great for at anchor.

And then maybe as a separate improvement, add capacity to your current house bank just 'cause 2x 12V batteries isn't much capacity if those are small-ish G31s or some such. (And swap out all your household lighting and especially your anchor light to LEDs if you haven't already.)

But...

You might consider potential mission creep, too, right up front. TV at anchor? Coffee maker at anchor? Microwave at anchor? Et cetera. If all that might gradually become attractive, larger bank, large inverter. At this point, it's maybe that larger house bank and an inverter big enough for everything except probably aircon and water heater. I'd guess this approach is likely better for the long run...

-Chris
Old 02-01-2023, 07:27 AM   #3
Guru

Chris, thanks for your input, I guess my thinking is running off the engine/alternator bank while underway but switching to the other possible new bank at anchor.

I'm trying not to be a power consuming boat and understand the concerns for mission creep. We do have propane for our kitchen needs, so coffee on the stove top. We had a dock neighbor that gave us his like new force 10 propane stove/oven when he removed it. I'll be removing my three burner stove top only to replace. But Tv at night is also nice for the family, me I'm usually wore out by dark thirty after a full day on the water.

We do have an led bulb in the anchor light and are slowly swapping out the cabin lights for led as needed.

So I guess I'd be looking for minimum requirements plus reserve on the equipment to power the fridge, then I could possibly upsize from there.

Would like to add solar in the future but that is not on this years schedule unless some great deal came along(like my new stove).

I'm not really good at numbers and calculations and such, definitely not my strongest quality. I'm good at picking up heavy things, well I used to be.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:36 AM   #4
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I wouldn't put a self defrosting fridge on a boat (self defrost wastes a bunch of power) unless it's one of the really efficient models (usually not available in small sizes). The estimated consumption on that fridge is almost 900 wh/day. For such a small fridge, I'd say it's pretty inefficient. For comparison, my 9.1 cu ft DC powered fridge/freezer draws about 1kwh / day in moderately hot weather for a significantly larger fridge. And mine is not the most efficient setup I've heard of.

For solar, your boat should meet the requirements as a secondary home, so you can take the federal tax credit to get some of the cost back. Doesn't help with the initial hit, but it helps in the long turn. The credit just got renewed and is back up to 30%, so it's fairly significant.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:07 AM   #5
Guru

Interesting on the solar, I'm pretty sure here in VT we get credits and or compensation for energy efficient home upgrades. I am pretty limited on the space available to fit the fridge, this just happens to be one that fills the available space best. I am surely open to other fridge options but not really wanting to go much higher in price though and pretty size limited.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:11 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Interesting on the solar, I'm pretty sure here in VT we get credits and or compensation for energy efficient home upgrades. I am pretty limited on the space available to fit the fridge, this just happens to be one that fills the available space best. I am surely open to other fridge options but not really wanting to go much higher in price though and pretty size limited.

You'd have to check into the VT credits. I know when I did solar on our boat I could take the federal credit, but not the NY one. The NY one only applied (at least at the time) to my primary residence, while the federal one is usable on a secondary residence (and a boat with a galley, head, etc. meets the requirements).
Old 02-01-2023, 08:44 AM   #7
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
If I was redoing frig/freezer I’d put a dedicated top loading freezer in the bilge and a sepeate efficient ac/dc frig/freezer in the galley.
You lose the cold when you open the door. You let in moisture (and the need to defrost) when you open the door. Top loading dedicated freezer will be more efficient and need less defrosting. You also have more opportunity to insulate around it and can put the compressor in a naturally cooler place in the boat.
I like refrigerator draws but they are so expensive but if you have a separate freezer you can get away with a smaller standard house unit. Overall think having two units means less electricity use. My current boat came with an ice maker. We repurposed it to serve as a freezer. Even gaining that small amount of freezer space is very helpful.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:11 AM   #8
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Chris, thanks for your input, I guess my thinking is running off the engine/alternator bank while underway but switching to the other possible new bank at anchor.

I'm trying not to be a power consuming boat and understand the concerns for mission creep. We do have propane for our kitchen needs, so coffee on the stove top. We had a dock neighbor that gave us his like new force 10 propane stove/oven when he removed it. I'll be removing my three burner stove top only to replace. But Tv at night is also nice for the family, me I'm usually wore out by dark thirty after a full day on the water.

We do have an led bulb in the anchor light and are slowly swapping out the cabin lights for led as needed.

So I guess I'd be looking for minimum requirements plus reserve on the equipment to power the fridge, then I could possibly upsize from there.

Would like to add solar in the future but that is not on this years schedule unless some great deal came along(like my new stove).

I'm not really good at numbers and calculations and such, definitely not my strongest quality. I'm good at picking up heavy things, well I used to be.
Do you have an inverter (not the genny one) to convert alternator to 110 power for fridge?
You need dedicated house bank of at least 2-6v deep cycle batteries (4-6v would be better) in series for 12v running a 1000 watt inverter which should run the fridge for 24 hrs approx before needing recharge.
Your Yamaha specs say "12 Volt DC output and cables for charging RV, auto and marine 12-volt batteries" but nothing on that output to know how long before it would recharge the batteries.
You should isolate house and start batteries, but have a way to join them to charge while underway.
The above suggestion is based on what I had on a sailboat. It also ran toaster, coffee maker, microwave (one at a time)
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:21 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Unfortunately, most of the under 4 cuft. units aren't as well insulated. I would be shopping based on the Energy Star numbers.

Don't be afraid of the frost free units. My 10 cuft. frost free is under 1 KW per day which is very efficient. The other point to understand is that modern frost free units base the defrost cycle on hours of compressor operation. The point being is that the same unit in Florida will do the defrost cycle more times per month than in Vermont based on average daily air temperatures requiring more compressor time in Florida.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:29 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Unfortunately, most of the under 4 cuft. units aren't as well insulated. I would be shopping based on the Energy Star numbers.

Don't be afraid of the frost free units. My 10 cuft. frost free is under 1 KW per day which is very efficient. The other point to understand is that modern frost free units base the defrost cycle on hours of compressor operation. The point being is that the same unit in Florida will do the defrost cycle more times per month than in Vermont based on average daily air temperatures requiring more compressor time in Florida.

Ted
I agree that some of the newer frost free units are quite efficient. But unfortunately, as you noted, those efficiency improvements haven't trickled down to small fridges to the same extent.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:29 AM   #11
Guru

Steve, I don't have any inverter yet. I guess I wondering if I could have the inverter powered via the engine while underway then switch the source to my new bank. I was thinking I would do either the 4-6v or 2-12v.

Last seasons boat usage was going to other marinas or anchoring up for the day and swimming fishing ect, then either back to home slip or transient slip somewhere. This season will transition into being more comfortable at anchor for overnights.

My Yamaha generator says output for the battery charging leg is 8 amps. I only carry it in case I do need charge the batteries for some reason. It came with the boat when we bought it, but I've never used it except in the yard.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:34 AM   #12
Guru

Would it not possibly make more sense to move all of the house loads to a new bank (including the inverter) and then adding a way for the engine alternator to charge that bank underway? Then you gain a separate house bank and don't have to worry about drawing down the starting batteries, plus no manual switching that could be forgotten. That architecture will also be easier to grow in the future if your power needs start to expand.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:42 AM   #13
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Steve, I don't have any inverter yet. I guess I wondering if I could have the inverter powered via the engine while underway then switch the source to my new bank. I was thinking I would do either the 4-6v or 2-12v.

Last seasons boat usage was going to other marinas or anchoring up for the day and swimming fishing ect, then either back to home slip or transient slip somewhere. This season will transition into being more comfortable at anchor for overnights.

My Yamaha generator says output for the battery charging leg is 8 amps. I only carry it in case I do need charge the batteries for some reason. It came with the boat when we bought it, but I've never used it except in the yard.
Your choice, 12v works, but the 6v system will last longer hours from full charge. something to do with larger plates.
An alternator for charging yes, for continuous supply to an inverter, not so much. Have not heard it being done without a battery inline to be charged.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:44 AM   #14
Guru

If 6v batteries are in the cards, measure the height available. That'll determine if you're stuck with the shorter GC2 sized 6 volts or if you can use the taller L16 form factor (which means you might only need 2, leaving space open for future expansion if you have the footprint available for 4 of them).
Old 02-01-2023, 10:52 AM   #15
Guru

Rob, with this conversation and reading some of the other recent electrical threads, I think that is probably the best bet. Start with a new house bank and inverter and go from there. I guess I would just need to figure on the charging of the new bank.

Recommendations for sizing and equipment are still welcome.

I do have room enough for good batteries, that was one of my reason for the smaller fuel tanks.

Steve, I guess I would be running off the only bank I have right now, charged by the engine alternator, I wasn't planning on bypassing the battery.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:54 AM   #16
Guru

For charging the new bank, the 2 easiest choices are either a DC-DC charger, or an ACR to feed power from the engine alternator and start bank to the house bank when the engine is running. When you add the inverter, use a model that's an inverter/charger and that will take care of charging the house bank on shore power. Any solar you add can go just to the house bank, the start bank will be fine without solar charging if there's nothing drawing from it when the engine is off.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:12 PM   #17
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
My old 12v inverter, 2200 watt, kept a large house reefer and freezer plus lights, etc., for 48+ hours. 4 8d batteries. Engine mounted alternator kept batteries charged when cruising.
Now use 48v inverter with alternators on both mains.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:23 PM   #18
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
CharlieO - you asked for minimum requirements, here's my best shot: What you need is data. I didn't catch what size your two 12v batteries are, but it's possible your current setup will get you through the night. But how do you know? Without data, you can't.

For $130 you can purchase a Victron SmartShunt (HERE from PKYS). Installation is pretty straightforward - just interrupt the negative feed on the battery and cable it inline. Will give you power draw and battery voltage. It's a really useful device even if you expand your system. Will tell you what your energy draw is at any point in time. Will allow you to interpolate how far depleted your batteries are in the morning; and how quickly they absorb alternator energy underway. You don't even need a gauge - all this is delivered to your smartphone via the Victron app.

BTW - I've linked to PKYS. Word of advice - pick a vendor and stick with them. If you have any issues, the vendor is Victron's first line of support. Easier to have all kit from one place.

Good luck

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:17 PM   #19
Guru

City: Boston Area
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...780084569.html

Here's a stationary bike that generates 500 watts of electricity. Now your girlfriend can have her fridge and stay in shape at the same time!!
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:30 PM   #20
Guru

City: Trenton
I have 3 group 31 12v deep cycle batteries. One dedicated to engine starting. The other two in parallel to run the 12v needs of the boat and a 1500 watt inverter. The inverter runs a Haier 110v under counter fridge when underway and anchor. The fridge is usually plugged into 110v shore power at dock. Some times I leave it on the inverter and the battery charger keeps the batteries up. Underway the stock alternator handles all charging. It's been working for 22 years. Batteries usually last 7 to 9 years. They are regular wet cells. Available anywhere. After 28 years the battery charger seems weak and may be replaced this year.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote