Recommendations for navigation apps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
I have a Galaxy Note 10.1, that I would like to put a Navigation app on.

Recommendations for lower cost or free? My traveling will be up the Hudson River, Champlain Canal and Lake Champlain possibly some Erie Canal.

I know I get what I pay for but don't necessarily need alot of bells and whistles to start with. The only other electronic device on the boat is a small Garmin plotter, don't recall which off the top of my head.

Thanks!

I used Navionics a few years ago and liked it. I think they still have a free trial and full subscription for all US used to be $25/yr. $29 for US & Canada.
You can continue using any sections you download and that's the best way as you dont need wifi that way.
It also provides access to Active Capt marina, Anchorage, Nav database although reports seemed dated with fewer people cruising the last couple years.
If not familiar with Erie stops & accommodations it could still be useful.

Last edited:
The Galaxy Note is an Android tablet. You'll find over 20 navigation apps in the Google Play store. I use OpenCPN and Navionics Boating on Android devices. I have a preference for OpenCPN because it supports the official NOAA charts and US Army Corps of Engineers charts, both free. Both OpenCPN and Navionics are low cost.

OpenCPN is avaiable from two developers. I strongly recommend the app by Dave Register one of the original developers of OpenCPN. The cost is quite reasonable. The other version while free is not update or supported. I find it does not run will on newer tablets.

Navionics has a number of vesions depending upon what you want. It is a subscription app. I used it for free for quite a while but find the subscription worth the modest price. Navioncs uses proprietary charts.

There is more of a learning curve with OpenCPN but it's a more powerful app.

I did download the 2 week free trial of navionics today. That will cover our first voyage on April 1.

I do use C maps some to poke around.

Should have noted this is all new to me. I do have a Captain lined up for our first trip.

Navionics is pretty easy and inexpensive, though a subscription for each device is needed.

I always feel like a dunce when someone mentions OpenCPN. I've tried it 3-4 times over the last 5-years. I either have trouble getting charts to load; or I end up with dozens of similar overlays loaded. Total fail every tme I try.

Peter

Peter,
I used Navionics on 3 different IPads at the same time with only 1 subscription! I don't know the limit, but 3 is allowed.
I did have a separate subsription for use on the laptop running Coastal Explorer software for the Canadian charts. On CE US charts are included (free).

Peter,
I used Navionics on 3 different IPads at the same time with only 1 subscription! I don't know the limit, but 3 is allowed.
I did have a separate subsription for use on the laptop running Coastal Explorer software for the Canadian charts. On CE US charts are included (free).
[emoji106] that wasmy experience one subscription multi devices.

If anyone is interested in a tracking / log app try BlueBoatLog.com. its a free App download you can also access via WWW & lap top for ease of entering text. Also lets yoy add pics to a daily track of your route.
Examples on my Bacchus website... Cruising notes... 2019 Cruise

[emoji106] that wasmy experience one subscription multi devices.

I must have remembered incorrectly. Or maybe a different subscription for a phone than a tablet? I seem to recall the tablet pricing was more. It's been a while. And I lost some brain cells back in the 70's.

Thanks for the correction. I like Navionics - works well. I wish the PC app was more usable, but the mobile ones are decent (or is someone going to chime-in that there is now a decent desktop version?)

Peter

Navionics is pretty easy and inexpensive, though a subscription for each device is needed.

I always feel like a dunce when someone mentions OpenCPN. I've tried it 3-4 times over the last 5-years. I either have trouble getting charts to load; or I end up with dozens of similar overlays loaded. Total fail every tme I try.

Peter
Getting charts to load 1st time in a new install of OpenCPN on a tablet or phone can be a PITA. I don't have any idea why you would get multiple similar overlays, I've not experienced that problem.

Getting charts to load 1st time in a new install of OpenCPN on a tablet or phone can be a PITA. I don't have any idea why you would get multiple similar overlays, I've not experienced that problem.
At some point I loaded pilot charts plus all the different scale charts. Recall, there is a segmented chart status bar along lower edge - seems to get overloaded. In all candor, seems like the modern equivalent to the old DOS days of PC. Works great once you know it. But barrier to entry is high.

AquaMap maybe.

iSailor might be (have been) another one to look at.

But...

Transas offered something like lifetime chart updates. Then sold to Wartsila, and Wartsila honored that. But Wartsila hasn't updated to a version that will run on the newer Android opsys version, and now offers other products versus iSailor. Perhaps their way of getting around that chart thing.

-Chris

The "apps" are all under $50. Compared to the overall cost of boating, I wouldn't be looking for a "free" app. You do get what you pay for.

Navionics and AquaMaps are by far the most popular.

The "apps" are all under $50. Compared to the overall cost of boating, I wouldn't be looking for a "free" app. You do get what you pay for.

Navionics and AquaMaps are by far the most popular.

I understand your insight. You are correct $50 is a good deal and I'll play with the free trial of navionics on our first move. My tablet is a 10 year old version and if it wonks out I wasn't sure if I'd lose acce$$ to my app.

Thanks, Charlie

OpenCPN is avaiable from two developers. I strongly recommend the app by Dave Register one of the original developers of OpenCPN. The cost is quite reasonable. The other version while free is not update or supported. I find it does not run will on newer tablets.

I wasn't aware that there was a paid version of OpenCPN. The only one I've ever used onboard (a tablet and a laptop) and at home (PC) was free.

Navionics

Navionics is $14.95/year on Android for the US charts only. If you have the same gmail account (google play) on all devices, they can be installed on all of them without any extra charges. It works great for me and it automatically synchs up on every device. I run it on a Pixel 3a, Samsung TabA & Lenovo 8" tab. Info updates often, with sonar data and it also includes autorouting. Works offline by downloading the portions of map that you need. Community edits and Active Captain updates included.

Cheers!
G

Last edited:
Navionics

I used the Navionics app on my iPad as much as I used my Raymarine Chartplotters while spending a month in the Exumas last July. It's routing features were excellent, it's database of marinas (Active Captain) including phone numbers, channel monitored and amenities was excellent and easily updated prior to departure or anytime you had internet service. It includes weather, wind, tide and current data. One of its best features is the abilty to download a whole area (depending on the amount of memory in your device) and then store it, allowing full use of the chart and it's information when outside of cellular/wifi service. I know I touched on its routing capabilities but once you enter the pertinent data (draft, fuel capacity, GPM) it will route you from point A to point B like a champion! I used it all the time. I routed my whole trip from Jupiter, FL to Staniel Cay, Bahamas in minutes. It's currently $21.99 for all of the US, Canada and much of the Bahamas. I would pay 10x that but don't tell Navionics. One more point, buy putting it on your phone as well (at no additional cost) you've got a chart plotter on your tender, center console, someone elses boat, anywhere. Just buy it and you'll love it.

Last edited:
Hard to beat Aquamaps Master they also just added wind, weather, current & waves (available only when you have internet connection). Nice feature is u can add only the maps you need if storage is an issue. Most useful is the crowd sourced Active Captain & Waterways Guide info embedded in the chart

My first choice is Aqua Map. Second choice is Navionics. I don't even use a dedicated chart plotter any more because these two are superior by far. You will need a GPS source, such as a standalone puck if your tablet doesn't have it built in. I use a cell-ready iPad because it has a built-in GPS, which the non-cellular iPad does not.

The subscriptions are cheap enough that getting both of them is very affordable. You get all the charts you'll need for the price of the subscription and they are updated regularly. For some routes, you also get bottom contours and crowd-sourced soundings, which are valuable.

Having tried a bunch of laptop-based systems and chart plotters, I think that these are the way to go.

-- Tom Dove

I have a preference for OpenCPN because it supports the official NOAA charts and US Army Corps of Engineers charts, both free. Both OpenCPN and Navionics are low cost.

There is more of a learning curve with OpenCPN but it's a more powerful app.

I have used the PC versions of OpenCPN for 15 years and 20,000 miles on Fintry and Morning Light. I have used most of the commercial packages and find OpenCPN easier to use and more powerful. Highly recommended.

I have tried the free Android version and found it essentially useless, so I'm very happy to hear that there is an Android version that actually works.- Thanks.

When I have wanted a quick look at a chart on my Android tablet, I use a freebie called Marine Ways. It has small ads at the top of the screen. You can do quick routes on it and it uses the tablet's gps to show your location. Recommended. Based on Portage Bay's recommendation, I'll probably replace this with the OpenCPN package.

Jim

Besides our Garmin chart plotters, we also use Aqua Map and Navionics on an iPad Pro. Both programs are reasonably priced and offer frequent free updates.

I wasn't aware that there was a paid version of OpenCPN. The only one I've ever used onboard (a tablet and a laptop) and at home (PC) was free.
Yes there is a free android version by Maison Automatique. But it has not been updated since 2015. It runs well enough on older tablets. It will not run on my more recent Samsung A7. Dave Register's paid version runs fine on the A7. The one time fee of $9.95 I find quite reasonable. I have it installed on two phones and a tablet all for the one fee.

My first choice is Aqua Map. Second choice is Navionics. I don't even use a dedicated chart plotter any more because these two are superior by far.

Have you actually compared the apps to the latest and greatest MFDs from the big four?

Or did you mean the apps are superior to the most recent plotter you've used?

Or...?

We use AquaMap, and I like it, but I can't exactly say it's superior... and in fact sometimes it's a bit squirrelly about starting, updating charts, etc. Aside from the USACE survey data that we've used (and very much appreciated) along the AICW, I can't think of much that's (apparently) not also available in the latest MFD/plotters...

-Chris

AquaMap, can someone confirm how it is listed in the Apple App Store?

There are a bunch of options that all seem to want me to think they are AquaMap.

Thanks!

I have a Galaxy Note 10.1, that I would like to put a Navigation app on.

Recommendations for lower cost or free? My traveling will be up the Hudson River, Champlain Canal and Lake Champlain possibly some Erie Canal.

I know I get what I pay for but don't necessarily need alot of bells and whistles to start with. The only other electronic device on the boat is a small Garmin plotter, don't recall which off the top of my head.

Thanks!

Not sure how old your Garmin is, but did you look into whether it's upgradable to latest charts and possibly more? Perhaps not if it's too old, but I would investigate that first. Might not be the cheapest option but something to consider.

Quite a fan of open on a laptop. Don’t like the limited options available for Garmin which is why we replaced the electronics on our new boat with Simrad. Have always run Navionics on the IPads as a simultaneous alternative view of things.
Now coastal so will drop open and add Aquamap to Navionics for the IPads while running C-Maps on the MFDs.
From our cruising in the Caribbean have found having multiple charts from different original data sources very worthwhile. Best I could determine that was US and UK sources. Consistently found discrepancies between them. This is particularly worthwhile where there aren’t any buoys, day or channel markers. Those situations exist in the US as well. Examples I’ve experienced are the Chesapeake and coast of Maine.
Given the federal government in the US does a decent job with cartography with coastal rather than just brand of chart vendor finds ease of updates equally important. Original data seems to be sourced from the feds. So that plus ease of garnering information quickly from the chart influences my chart source decisions. We commonly use charts without availability of cell towers so speed/ease of update downloads is important as well. Coastally bandwidth isn’t much of a concern.

Want to give a shout out to Tom & Mel Neale. They’re emails of notice to navigators are just plain wonderful.

Last edited:
From our cruising in the Caribbean have found having multiple charts from different original data sources very worthwhile. Best I could determine that was US and UK sources. Consistently found discrepancies between them. This is particularly worthwhile where there aren’t any buoys, day or channel markers. Those situations exist in the US as well. Examples I’ve experienced are the Chesapeake and coast of Maine.

Ease of use seems to dominate many of these conversations, but accuracy trumps it all. We were all following the grounding off Captiva in discussions just last week, where charts mattered.

Have you seen any patterns as to which is accurate / inaccurate, especially in the Chesapeake?

Seems to me B&B said Navionics was inaccurate to the point of dangerous in the Bahamas, in some earlier discussion, but he could weigh in himself if he's following this thread.

Think usual issues are in areas where mud or sand moves due to tides and currents. Hence my comment about updating. Where coral heads exist still go in with sun behind me, someone at the bow watching the water and slow is pro is our watch word. Find those who navigate like playing a video game are those more likely to get into troubles. Your 5 senses still trump anything on a screen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom