Raymarine S2 Autopilot off switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
I have an S2 autopilot computer on my boat which was installed before I bought the boat.

When I purchased the boat it was hardwired directly to the power source with no fuse/breaker and no way to disconnect power. In other words, it (and the two ST6001 control units) stayed on 24/7. Even though the AP worked fine, I didn't like that setup so I rerouted the power wires through an unused breaker on my dash.

The AP continued to work fine for more than a year but then a few months ago the boat began to "wander" when it was on Auto, swinging off course as much as 30 degrees in either direction.

I messed with settings for a bit which resulted in some improvement but not a fix so I pulled out the computer and sent it off to Raymarine. Ray's tech support called me and told me that there was nothing wrong with the computer but that it had never been calibrated or gone through it's seatrial setup. They rebooted it with the most up to date software, sent it back to me and instructed me to recalibrate it.

While reinstalling it I noticed that the S2 computer has a slot for an "off switch" which closes a circuit turning off the computer's power supply.

Did I foul up by putting a switch in the main power line instead of using the "off switch?" When I interrupt power to the computer does it lose its programmed settings?

It's not clear in the manual.

Thanks

The unit should have a breaker on your 12vdc power panel. The settings for the S2 and 6001 are not lost when powered off. Setting up the S2 per the initial sea trial is really important. Be sure and have the boat moving at the normal cruise speed when you go thru the set up. Then after the set up manually check and make sure the Response is set at #4.

Thanks PG. I'll be back at the boat in a few weeks to do the sea trial set up.

I double checked my S2 via the 6001 and found that the highest Response setting is "3". That is the number you want if it won't go as high as "4". I had an S3 unit that had a Response range of 1-6. That unit ran best on Response "4".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom