raymarine rl70c overlay mode?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duetto

Vessel Name
GEM
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 34
hi all,

we have a 2003 mainship 34 pilot with raymarine electronics circa 2003,
including rl70c chartplotter and radar. generally i set the chartplotter to be
oriented to "heads up" mode. when we use the radar i would like to be able to use it
in overlay mode. overlay mode allows the radar returns to show as dots on the chart.
the documentation does not rule out this setup.

the problem i have, and have always had, is it will not allow the combination of
the heads up chart orientation AND overlay mode. at least i can't get it to work.

so my question is, has anyone been able to get this chartplotter/radar to work
in that mode and if so what are the magic settings/keystrokes?

thanks in advance.

john

Mine works that way. Do you have a separate fluxgate compass? I believe you need one for the overlay. Mine is on the SeaTalk bus from my autopilot (as I remember, been a while since I hooked it up).

hi mike,

yes we have the fluxgate compass hooked up to gyroplus2 unit which is connected to seatalk.

the sequence i use is menu/chart setup/chart orientation/heads up then display/ overlay on....it accepts it but automatically switches the chart to north up. if i got back thru the menu/chart setup it will not let me select heads up.

the sequence i use is menu/chart setup/chart orientation/heads up then display/ overlay on....

Have you tried setting both to course up or north up just to see if they synch?
Are both ranges set identically?

Sounds like a software glitch.

after your suggestion, i tried both and no good results.

we have the exact same instruments on another boat which we have used successfully in the past in overlay mode. the one difference is the mainship has a sonar module which i have to believe is the problem but it's not documented anywhere.

i've tried the raymarine forum in the past but lately they either don't respond or are lacking expetise in their older/classic products.

I've forgotten. Does the radar have a choice of orientation? Have you gone through all the sub menus of the radar setup? I'll take a look at my settings when I'm aboard Wednesday and we can compare.

mike,

i have not. look fwd to your reply.

what i will say is our other boat has the same electronics minus the sonar and we have had it working on that boat.

Si I think my unit acts like yours, but maybe for a different reason. I'm not able to set my chart to heads up, just north up and course up. I'll have to dig into that further. Today I used course up and the overlay worked well. I'll dig out the manual to see why I don't have heads up.

hi mike,

i tried course up thinking it was close to heads up but boat on chart is going sideways and eventually off of the screen. this seems to be the case w or w/o radar.

Our next trip will be in a couple of weeks unfortunately. I do know that I usually have the chart in north up and the radar heads up and everything syncs well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom