Raymarine Radar, wireless or wired

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newtrawlerowner

Vessel Name
PartnerShip II
Vessel Make
2003 Mainship 400
I'm replacing the 20 year old navigation and auto pilot on my MainShip.
I looking at Raymarine Quantum and they sell 3 versions. WiFi only with power cable, WiFi and Ethernet with power cable and WiFi and Ethernet with power and data cable. WiFi only makes sense but thought I'd ask for experience and suggestions.

No experience but why take the speed hit of wifi? You have to run power cable so might as well run data cable with it.

wired

We had the wired version on our last boat - it worked very well.

During installation on an aluminum radar arch, it became clear to me why one would choose wireless. There was very little space through which to pull the cables.

Had the Wifi-only version on our Mainship. It worked fine - never a hiccup or dropout.

No experience but why take the speed hit of wifi? You have to run power cable so might as well run data cable with it.
:thumb::iagree:

Attachments

• NEW PANEL 3.jpg
    NEW PANEL 3.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 18
Far as I can tell there's little if any significant difference with the wifi version. Have not done an apples to apples test, but:

In May 2018, after failure of a 17 year old magnetron (no longer available) I went from a 2001 Raymarine open array to a Ray Quantum 24" dome wifi only. A little quirky when it was brand new, but after two software updates in the first few months has been fine for my needs. Sure was easier to install wthout the data cable.

My assumption is that there is only one version of the unit, and that you can add cables any time. So you can try wireless and add the data cabling later if needed.

That said, if it's dead easy to run the cable to a MFD, I'd do it.

Do you have a single helm station?

My assumption is that there is only one version of the unit, and that you can add cables any time. So you can try wireless and add the data cabling later if needed.

I have the Quantum (1), and at that point in time you could choose. Wireless-only was a bit cheaper; or you could get the one with both wireless and wired capability. I went with the latter so I'd have my options.

That said, I thought the Quantum 2 (current model) only came in one "flavor" that included both options, as you said above. But maybe OP is looking at a Quantum (1) on sale or something.

On the cables: If you are going wireless, then obviously it's just a power cord. But if you are going wired, there are a couple of options, and one may or may not be better just depending on your constraints (at least this is as of when I put in my Quantum (1) a little under two years ago.

There are separate cables available for power and data. This was so that if you already had power going there from an older unit, you didn't have to run that again. Then there is a "combined" cable for both. This is sort of positioned as the "best" or most obvious cable to get if you need both power and data. But there is (or at least was) a wrinkle. That is that the Quantum (1) (I think the 2 is physically the same though), has two ports on the underside. Then there is a squiggly "maze" where you run the cable out if exiting aft.

So if you get the combined "better" cable, you have to buy their Y cable in order to connect the combined single cable to the two ports on the underside. My setup has the cable(s) exiting aft (depends on your radar mount though of course). The Y cable didn't really fit this scenario very well (as in, not at all). After the Y cable went through their "prong maze," large connectors ended up right where I didn't want them.

Doing some research, it was actually better for me to run the two separate cables (one for power, one for data). They fit through the "maze" on the underside of the radome better, and exited aft more cleanly. There could be other advantages (or disadvantages) of the thicker cable vs. two thinner ones depending on your exact setup.

If the cables decision ends up being a thing for you, feel free to PM me and I could dig up the various cable names and numbers. It was all a bit confusing until I sorted it out with their tech support. Not difficult in practice, just the cable names and etc. can be a bit "not straightforward."

Note: I don't think the physical radome or connectors are any different on the "corded" Quantum (1) vs. the Quantum 2, but of course double check since I have the original Quantum.

Frosty

A thought on the Quantum radar: I have the Quantum 1, wifi. It worked fine and was super easy to wire up w/o the data cable until recently when it died at 4 years of age. I took it off the boat and found that it had about a pint of water inside the antenna case. I installed the new antenna myself and it's never been apart or exposed to any abnormal amount of water/spray. There's no drain in the bottom of the antenna housing so the water had to come in around the rubber seal at the perimeter of the housing. I understand Raymarine has a $900 standard charge to repair out-of-warranty radar units. I've had three Raymarine analog radar antennae on prior boats and never had a problem like this. I'd be hard pressed to fix the current unit or buy another like it.

I am putting a Quantum 2 on our new boat. It will be wireless because of the tight areas in the arch. The current Garmin has the big cable on it but I sure would not want to have been the one to run it up there. Of course before I even got my new electronics installed Raymarine has come out with a new open array radar…

A thought on the Quantum radar: I have the Quantum 1, wifi. It worked fine and was super easy to wire up w/o the data cable until recently when it died at 4 years of age. I took it off the boat and found that it had about a pint of water inside the antenna case. I installed the new antenna myself and it's never been apart or exposed to any abnormal amount of water/spray. There's no drain in the bottom of the antenna housing so the water had to come in around the rubber seal at the perimeter of the housing. I understand Raymarine has a $900 standard charge to repair out-of-warranty radar units. I've had three Raymarine analog radar antennae on prior boats and never had a problem like this. I'd be hard pressed to fix the current unit or buy another like it.

On both versions of Quantum there is a vent or drain on the bottom of the case, the installation instructions admonish mounting it in such a way that it is not blocked.

Aha. Found the drain vent. It was not at all blocked but the water did not drain out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom