Raymarine Auto Pilot Intermittent "No Data" Error

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sum escape

Vessel Name
Sapphire
Vessel Make
Tiara 53 Fly
Vintage 2006 Raymarine E120 Classic MFD and ST8002 Auto pilot lower and upper helm (upper slave). (Yes I know they are old but all in working order until yesterday:))
Just started getting intermittent "No Data" error when using AP on "Auto" (not Track). AP unit operates for one minute to 30 minutes at a time, but intermittently as I ultimately get the no data error. All connections appear tight and both the AP and MFD display a similar heading at least initially when I turn on AP. I did notice that the no data error occurred once they deviated significantly after a few course changes (a few degrees). I historically recall them being relatively close, being within 4 or so degrees unless currents or wind caused "crabbing". Could it be the fluxgate compass on the AP "hanging up" or somehow malfunctioning? Any ideas based on your experience? Any testing protocols you can recommend for further diagnosis? Thanks.

You don't mention your course computer model but I presume it is S3G based upon age. I would start with compass. disconnect it at the S3G. Use a multimeter on 200 ohms scale.
Compass Test Data:

Red to Green - 4 ohms
Red to Yellow - 4 ohms
Green to Yellow - 8 ohms
Screen to Blue - 8 ohms
All other combinations - OPEN

If the compass is good, I would replace the battery in the gps antenna. If that doesn't work then you need to substitute a known good course computer. Finally, substitute a known good controller.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom